cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need help for understanding native vlan

Road To CCIE
Level 1
Level 1

PC A --------------> Switch 1 <------------------------------------>Switch 2------------------>PC B
         fa01  access vlan 10            fa24 trunk native vlan 20          fa24 Trunk native vlan 10                fa01 access vlan 20     

Hi , in above scenario , when PC A send a packet to PC B , what is the action for switch 1 egress port fa24 ?

as i understant that when PC A send a frame with no VLAN tag to ingress Switch 1 fa01 , and Switch 1 will put a Vlan tag 10 to frame.
may i know what action will Switch 1 egress fa24 do when receive a frame with tag vlan 10. will it discard the frame or just forward the frame with vlan tag 10 to switch 2 ingress fa24 ? or forward the frame with tag vlan 20 ?

1 Reply 1

@Road To CCIE 

The Native vlan here does not matter. Unless you have a layer3 device routing between vlans, the communication will not happen.

And, for what reason you would add vlan 20 as native vlan on the switch1 trunk if the switch dont have this vlan on it?  The same for switch2.

This kind of scenario you can simulate even in PacketTracer which is the simpler of the network simulator. I

Quick Links