Replies

Cisco Proximity: use cases

ruben.montes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some doubts regarding Proximity:

FROM DESKTOP

- Can I share any content in my screen to the video endpoint? Or just PPT?

- Can I view content being shared on the video endpoints from another device?

FROM MOBILE

- when I'm viewing a non-PPT content, how does the snapshot and go-to-previous slide behave?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ruben,

From desktop, you can share your entire screen. If you happen to have several displays connected, you can select which display to share.

You cannot share individual applications. However - maximizing your app would mostly do the trick. To share e.g. a PPT presentation, I start the slideshow view and *then* start Proximity sharing using the keyboard shortcut (Alt-F12)

From mobile; we do comparison between all snapshots (1-2 per second) and only transmit those with "significant difference". We always try to optimize the algorithm for "significant difference" so it makes sense. In my experience, it might miss a single letter added to a word document, but usually detects well enough for additional bullet points/builds in a presentation.

If you show a video (youtube playback, for example), there are usually big enough differences in the image to trigger a new slide. So - the go-back-to-previous is obviously not useful while in video playback, and is optimized for typical presentations.

Hope this helps,
-Henrik

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ruben,

From desktop, you can share your entire screen. If you happen to have several displays connected, you can select which display to share.

You cannot share individual applications. However - maximizing your app would mostly do the trick. To share e.g. a PPT presentation, I start the slideshow view and *then* start Proximity sharing using the keyboard shortcut (Alt-F12)

From mobile; we do comparison between all snapshots (1-2 per second) and only transmit those with "significant difference". We always try to optimize the algorithm for "significant difference" so it makes sense. In my experience, it might miss a single letter added to a word document, but usually detects well enough for additional bullet points/builds in a presentation.

If you show a video (youtube playback, for example), there are usually big enough differences in the image to trigger a new slide. So - the go-back-to-previous is obviously not useful while in video playback, and is optimized for typical presentations.

Hope this helps,
-Henrik