cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mass Deployment - Cisco Proximity - Uninstallation issue (3.0.8.0)

DanielPersson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I've noticed an issue when trying to mass deploy Cisco Proximity using the switch ACCEPTEULA=1.

Installation string that I use:

MSIEXEC /I "Proximity.msi" /qn /norestart DISABLEAUTOUPGRADE=0 LAUNCHPROXIMITY=0 ALLUSERS=1 ACCEPTEULA=1

Uninstallation string that I use:

MSIEXEC /uninstall {1A1A3A93-C6F8-4D00-BBFA-0AA5A80780D3} /qn

Issue:

If I install the program using the above commandline (you can try this locally on 1 pc as well), everything looks to have gone smoothly. The program will work as expected. However, when I try to uninstall using the above string, the registry keys at "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\" are being left after the uninstallation has completed. Resulting in the program still appearing in Add/remove programs. This is also causing SCCM to incorrectly inventory proximity as installed on these clients.

Reproduce the issue:

Download the latest Cisco Proximity (3.0.8.0 as of the time I am writing this).

Run the installer using the ACCEPTEULA=1 switch (you can use the command line I provided above).

Run the uninstaller using the line I provided (I also tested /X)

Observe that the program is still showing in Add/Remove programs and that the registry keys are still present at "

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GUID"
Uninstalling the application again will clean the keys (either through the string of from add/remove programs)

Solution:
Removing the ACCEPTEULA=1 switch solves the issue. Uninstalls now works as intended with the registry being cleaned up correctly. Alternatively uninstall the program twice. This will also remove the left-over registry keys.

Run the uninstallation command twice like this:

This will completely uninstall Cisco proximity.

Thought I'd bring this to attention as I was unable to see it somwhere else while googling. Let me know if this is just happening for us or if it is reproducable for you guys too.

//Daniel

6 Replies 6

nrknlanrk
Level 1
Level 1

I faced the same issue. We had this issue in 2.0.8.0 version, and i hoped it would been gone in this version.

Even if i don't use ACCEPTEULA=1 the issue persist with uninstallation.

I've tried script to install/uninstall to manually remove this registry entry, also changed detection method to local file version instead of MSI product code, but it wont help. You always have to press "try again".

That is true. I ended up needing to run the uninstall twice for it to get removed correctly. 

This seems to have worked well though as I didn't see any issues after mass deploying.

I used psappdeploytoolkit as a wrapper.

I will update the main thread with this. Sorry for having outdated info!

Thanks for the tip on PSAppDeployToolkit.

I'll try the uninstall command twice in a script.

I had to add three command lines to get it to work fine with sccm:

$Arguments = "/x {1A1A3A93-C6F8-4D00-BBFA-0AA5A80780D3} /qn"

Start-Process C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe -ArgumentList $Arguments -Wait

mneergaa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is certainly some kind of bug in the msi file, where msiexec encounters an unexpected state in the middle of the uninstallation and somehow decides it was installing instead of uninstalling (or to roll back in case of an error maybe?) but we have been unable to understand what is happening...

cmendes
Level 1
Level 1

seriously cisco!?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: