cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network connectivity requirements for Cisco Proximity

Neil Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps it's just me, but documentation on this is woeful, hence the need to post a question here.

Does anyone know if you need L2 adjacency for this to work, or can I have the mobile client on a completely different network to the codec, so long as there is network connectivity (Via a firewall in my case) back to the codec?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Neil Jones
Level 1
Level 1

For those who are interested, the codec transmits its IPv4 address via an ultrasonic message to the client. The client will then attempt to connect to the codec on that IP on port 443/HTTPS.

This means that you can have your codec on a different network to your clients, as long as it's routable

In terms of security, the codec transmits a security token to the clients. This token is refreshed every 3 minutes, and each client must present a valid token to the codec in order to stay connected i.e. If the client leaves the room and is no longer receiving the tokens via ultrasound, it will stay connected for a maximum of 3 minutes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Neil Jones
Level 1
Level 1

For those who are interested, the codec transmits its IPv4 address via an ultrasonic message to the client. The client will then attempt to connect to the codec on that IP on port 443/HTTPS.

This means that you can have your codec on a different network to your clients, as long as it's routable

In terms of security, the codec transmits a security token to the clients. This token is refreshed every 3 minutes, and each client must present a valid token to the codec in order to stay connected i.e. If the client leaves the room and is no longer receiving the tokens via ultrasound, it will stay connected for a maximum of 3 minutes.

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Neil,

fully agree our documentation is weak. We have however fairly recently posted an update specifically on network requirements – it's available on Project Workplace;
https://projectworkplace.cisco.com/#/experience/proximity/0/4

If you have suggestions/ideas on how to improve this document, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for posting your findings back to the community, too!

Br,
Henrik

Christian Rolf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Neil,

what about conferences?

Is there any scenario where the client needs ip-connectivity to conductor/TPS?

(is it planned?)

Br,

Christian

Why would it ever need that connectivity? Surely all you need with proximity is connectivity to the codec? Anything beyond that and we're stepping into Jabber territory.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: