Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to hide the Dock app icon

Unable to hide the proximity app icon from dock. Previous versions allowed that and would only show up in the status menu at the top.

Sameer.

4 Replies 4

fklemenz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Same here... Disabled the tool completely now, but would prefer to have it run in the background with just a menu bar icon.

It also comes up with an already open window. That is also annoying, I think it should be able to start without a window and without a dock icon.

Florian

Hi Florian,
see my post above to Sameer re the reason behind going to app window.

I would like to better understand your concern on the second annoyance; does this window come up if you set the application to auto-start? 

(The design intent is that the app window is shown if the user starts the app, when clicking the app icon [in dock or task bar] and when clicking the icon in the notification area. This brings up the pairing interface + the button to start sharing. Starting a share minimizes the Proximity-window).

Br,
Henrik

Henrik Bakken
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sameer,
are you unable to hide the icon even if you close the Proxmity application?

The reason we added a dock icon (and task bar button in Windows) is based on feedback we got during usability testing. Quite a bit of (non-pro) users could not find the application in the notification area.

Also on Mac - sometimes the Proximity icon was not rendered, especially for apps not following Apple HCI guidelines and having too long of a top menu text, again hiding some of the icons in the top menu at the right. If you were using Powerpoint on a small Mac, typically the icon was hidden (and users had to temporarily switch to another app, eg. Finder, with a short enough main menu list to render the hidden icons).

I see this is an annoyance for pro-users, and we might consider creating a user option for this. Right now we have a lot of higher prioritized tasks, so I cannot commit to when/if.

Br,
Henrik

Thanks for the detailed comments.

The app icon does not hide when the proximity application is closed (That is when the app window is closed using the red cross icon)

Completely understand the reasoning for enabling it in dock, but as you said would like to see the option to hide the icon in dock.

Also just not from a pro-user perspective but for non-pros I have seen user having tons for icons in the dock for every app they have accessed and not quit which makes it even harder to find the right one. Also there are so many easier options like spotlight search to get to an app or launcher

Thanks and appreciate the follow-up.

Sameer