Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS support

Dam_Karp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I trust you are well.

Today's topic is a bit out of dated, but I'm trying my luck anyway. I have a Cisco Catalyst 1900 series switch, which is very old. I am currently doing my CCNA so I picked up three of these switches for cheap to help me through. Now, my problem is that I am unable to find the latest enterprise software (The last software version released was 9.00.07, 2003), according to Wikipedia. The IOS I'm currently running on the switches is version 9.00.04.

Can someone please inform me where I can go about obtaining the latest version?

Thank you so much,

Louis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Honestly ypu are better off using a gns3 lab instead of this oldfashioned hardware. Gns3 is well capable of labbing trunks, routing and vlans.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Louis! Did you manage to find the IOS? regards, Ben

No, not yet.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Throw the switch away. A 1900 switch won't be of any help for CCNA exam.

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You best bet is to search google for the binary filename. I am not familiar with that switch IOS filename format, but if you do a sh dir . Is it something like '9.00.04.bin', if so search for '9.00.07.bin' . Using this method poses the risk that you may pick up all soft of compromised files. Typically you would check the MD5 hash of the file you download against the hash posted on the Cisco download site....but being that it is so old that information is no longer available.

Given that these switches are so old, I would WEEE them and get a set of more modern, no doubt quieter and less power hungry devices which use an IOS that is still available.

cheers,

Seb.

**bleep**, what a waste. I do not know what I'm going to do with them. Do you guys think GNS3 or Cisco Packet tracer would be efficient enough?

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Honestly ypu are better off using a gns3 lab instead of this oldfashioned hardware. Gns3 is well capable of labbing trunks, routing and vlans.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: