cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Unlicensed FMC & FTD

eskalidi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all and hope you had a great festive break. 

I have two FTDs managed by FMC all of which are currently unlicensed (still waiting on the FMC license from an MSP) and that need to be upgraded as soon as possible prior to an audit. 

These are now operational and in our office network. I haven't done this for a while so not sure but here's my question:

• Can I upgrade these while unlicensed?
  • Will it break anything or cause any issues? 

Thanks, 
M

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lciccare
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @eskalidi 

There is no limitation in performing an upgrade for unlicensed FTDs.
Upgrading the devices will not cause any issues as long as the upgrade process is performed correctly and the devices have compatible software versions. 

Keep in mind that you should always have a backup of your current configuration before upgrading and that without a valid license the devices operate in a limited capacity.

It's always recommended to check the release notes and compatibility matrix for the software version you want to upgrade to.

This is the reference guide for upgrading Firepower: Cisco Firepower Management Center Upgrade Guide, Version 6.0–7.0 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

lciccare
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @eskalidi 

There is no limitation in performing an upgrade for unlicensed FTDs.
Upgrading the devices will not cause any issues as long as the upgrade process is performed correctly and the devices have compatible software versions. 

Keep in mind that you should always have a backup of your current configuration before upgrading and that without a valid license the devices operate in a limited capacity.

It's always recommended to check the release notes and compatibility matrix for the software version you want to upgrade to.

This is the reference guide for upgrading Firepower: Cisco Firepower Management Center Upgrade Guide, Version 6.0–7.0