cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error when accessing CCO via tech support iOS app

Thomas Cooper
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to access documentation and receiving an error on the support landing page. Attached screenshot from my iPad.
Anyway this could be fixed?

Also, any plans on integrating the documentation within the app itself, rather than just opening it up via the embedded browser? Cisco.com doesn't play that well, even on the iPad.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

3 Replies 3

David Dube
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

I have a few questions so I can dig in a bit further into the problem.

- Is this the URL you were trying to access, or is it another area within the support area?

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/support/index.html

- It looks like you are using v3.4 of the CTS app. What version of iOS 7 are you running?

- Did you try refreshing the page? Did you get the same problem?

- Did you just experience the issue before your post? I'm trying to get a rough idea on time and date.

In regards to your documents question.... yes... we're headed in that direction to provide quicker access to documents. One area where you can see this today in v3.4 of the app is the TAC Support Docs area of the client. From that area, you have access to over 600 support docs written by Cisco TAC Engineers, SEs, NSEs, etc.

Not too far in the distant future, the Cisco Support Website will be deploying over 5,000 model pages where you can get access to specific documents, downloads, community discussions, and high level overview of the model. Here's a link to a prototype that will give you some idea.

The following is for the ASA5550:  http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/support/model/tsd_hardware_asa_model_5550.html#0

The model pages will be responsively designed... so the content will flow/adjust to the device you are using (desktop/tablet/smartphone). Within the app, we're planning on incorporating either a simple model selector pulldown, or a bar code scanner utility where we can convert the serial number to a PID, and then take you to the appropriate page.

While the barcode scanner sounds like a neet feature, it would require you to either be infront of the device, or manually type in the serial number. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the former (model selector/filter). I'm open to your suggestions.

Lastly... we're looking into integrating a couple read later services (pocket/instapaper) within the in-app browser to allow for saving content for off line use, and provide access across multiple devices. I'd be interested in hearing if you have had experience with either pocket or instapaper, and which do you prefer.

Regards,

Dave Dubé

Sr. Product Mgr, Cisco Services

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Go figure, I don't seem to be hitting the same problem his morning. That was the URL I was trying to access last night (about an hour before posting this). It seems to be serving up the support section of CCO just fine now.

I'm on iOS 7.0.4. Refreshing last night caused the same error. I can't reproduce it today.

The new product pages look pretty slick, I must admit. Looking forward to the change as the current site layout isn't exactly quick to navigate. I've learned to follow certain pages to get the info I want but run into challenges (especially on mobile) with some broken paths and hard-to-reach documentation. I know I'm not the first to complain so I didn't expect this to come as a shock ;)

I personally spend a lot of time on the command line so having to throw in a SN to find product info wouldn't be too difficult for me. I think having either an intuitive selector or a barcode scanner (heck, even both) would be valuable to me.

I can't comment too much on any "read later" services. That being said, I will be getting Instapaper setup on my iPad in the near future so I'll have to revisit it. CCO has so much valuable docs and white papers, I definitely see a benefit with integrating with those services.

Thank you so much of your detailed response! It's always great to engage with the folks driving direction for great products (I'm honestly in love with Cisco's Support app). It's nice to see it getting attention. :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Thomas,

Based on the screen shot you sent, it looks like the app must have sent a generic cookie associated with our middleware client (TSMAP). We're investigating the issue on our end...

I previously forgot to ask whether you had logged into the app. If you run into this again I would try:

- Back out, and log into the app (if not logged in already)

- Back out, log out, and re-login (if already logged in) and then refresh the page.

In regards to content... one of my goals is to start "blurring the lines" with how users access content. If you access content on one device, shouldn't you be able to easily access the same content on another? Downloading content to a smartphone is nice, but do "you" want to do that to each of your devices?

We've dabbled in that area a bit... storing user support case watchlists within our middleware client, so you see the same list across all your devices. The read it later servcies further extend this concept... providing two handy services...

- Provide access to content across all your devices (no managing lists from one device to another)

- Ability to view/refer to content when you're offline

In any event... If you're interested in talking further about this or other capabilities... either PM me here or send me an email directly (djdube at cisco dot com).

Regards,

Dave