Views
Helpful
Replies

Deployment Failed - Failed to Create User Data

MISOULE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have installed the C3 infrastructure, the CCO for the cloud region (VMware) shows Running status, mapped the Image ID for the cloud, and modeled a 1 tier application using only a single image mapping.

I found the following post and double checked everything it mentions: How does CloudCenter support VMware templates

Full error detail from UI: "Failed to launch VM's..failed to create userdata\n Additional logs for debugging is :Failed to launch VM's..failed to create userdata"

Searching through Kibana I found the following error messages from /usr/local/cliqr/logs/gateway.log, but unable to get more context. Is the bootstrap script a dependency or could it cause the error the UI reflected?

service.LifecycleClusterStartAction [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Exception occurred while launching VMs

impl.GatewayServiceImpl [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Failed to read linux bootstrap script from URL cdn.cliqr.com/bootstrap-cliqr-init.sh, but worker images should still work.

event.LifecycleEventProcessor [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Exception occurred while resolving Action-event.

service.LifecycleClusterStartAction [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Exception occured in lifecycle

I changed the level to debug on the gateway.log and got a little more, but still nothing that helps define what "user data" is. It just looks like it inits a new deployment is missing "userdata" and fails the deployment.

com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: failed to create userdata

at com.osmosix.gateway.lifecycle.event.LifecycleAgentListener.onApplicationEvent(LifecycleAgentListener.java:7) [classes!/:4.8.2]

Caused by: com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: failed to create userdata

... 28 more

at org.springframework.context.event.SimpleApplicationEventMulticaster.multicastEvent(SimpleApplicationEventMulticaster.java:139) [spring-context-4.3.11.RELEASE.jar!/:4.3.11.RELEASE]

at com.osmosix.gateway.impl.GatewayServiceImpl.createInstancesAsync(GatewayServiceImpl.java:633) ~[classes!/:4.8.2]

at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:439) ~[?:1.8.0_152]

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.publishEvent(AbstractApplicationContext.java:393) [spring-context-4.3.11.RELEASE.jar!/:4.3.11.RELEASE]

at com.osmosix.gateway.lifecycle.action.orchestration.common.AbstractNodeStartAction.launchAsync(AbstractNodeStartAction.java:255) ~[classes!/:4.8.2]

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.publishEvent(AbstractApplicationContext.java:347) [spring-context-4.3.11.RELEASE.jar!/:4.3.11.RELEASE]

Caused by: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: cdn.cliqr.com/bootstrap-cliqr-worker.sh

2 Replies 2

jeoakey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Michael,  I'd suggest a TAC case for this one as there are a couple different areas to look into as to why you are seeing this problem and TAC would be able to get you to a resolution quite quickly I believe.

There are a few other nuances for VMware that you could check as well in parallel and can be found here

https://docs.cloudcenter.cisco.com/display/CCD482/VMware+Configurations

and here, under VMware - Cloud and Network Settings  https://docs.cloudcenter.cisco.com/display/CCD482/Deployment+Environment+Defaults

Thank you for the information Jeremy. I am thinking the issue is in some way related to the root disk configuration. I think I will review that and some of the information in the second link you provided, then if I am still having trouble escalate.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: