cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Control Phone with Jabber

Dani111
Level 1
Level 1

It seems that I am missing something, as I cannot control the IP Phone with Jabber. When I choose: "Use my desk phone for calls", the CSF device in CUCM is changing status to "Unregistered". In the Accounts menu from Jabber I have: The connection with the Server cannot be established, (Tel Services-screenshot below). If I use my computer for calls all is working fine. 

Allow of Control of Device from CTI is checked, On the User Page, the Home Cluster and CM IM and Presence checked, Controlled Devices checked, UC Profile checked, Permissions checked, Line associated accordingly.

any idea please, what am I missing?

Many thanks

Regards

11 Replies 11

Alexey Y
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Dani,
As far as I understand the CSF in cucm represents the jabber as a soft-phone so it seems logical that it will go into "Unregistered" state because you are stopping using it as softphone-mode and instead you are trying to use it in deskphone-mode to control your deskphone.

What type is the deskphone you are trying to control?
if you are using any of the 88XX or 78XX series the you should also add these permissions to your user:
Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Connected Xfer and conf
Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Rollover Mode

Can you confirm that you have a CTI connection between your PC and a CTI enabled CUCM server? you can either check the jabber "connection status" under settings and look for "CTI Connection" or just open a cmd window on your PC and type the command: netstat | find "2748", if all good you should see on CMD window the message "ESTABLISHED"

Hi Alexey,

thanks for your answer.

It makes sense for the "Unregistered" status indeed.

I am using an 8841 and the permissions for 

Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Connected Xfer and conf
Standard CTI Allow Control of Phones supporting Rollover Mode

are allocated.

cmd netstat | find "2748" has an empty output, so there is no CTI Connection.

I used this doc to check if the Jabber CTI service is added and that the device is enabled for CTI:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_5/CJAB_BK_D00D8CBD_00_deployment-installation-guide-cisco-jabber115/CJAB_BK_D00D8CBD_00_deployment-installation-guide-cisco-jabber115_chapter_0111.html

Should I check with the FW team if the port 2748 is blocked by FW, or what do you recommend?

Many thanks,

Dani 

UPDATE:

netstat ¦ find "2748"

TCP x.x.x.x(ip) servname: 2748 TIME_WAIT

just an update, while "use my desk phone for calls" selected, I get the output above from netstat 

Check with the FW team first, because I think that it might mean that the PC is trying to establish the connection but does not get any response.

Can you confirm the "Allow of Control of Device from CTI" is checked under "user settings", under the "DN" of the primary line of the Phone, and under the "Phone" itself?

If there is no FW issues and the above setting are checked then I think that our next step will be to collect the CTI-Manager logs from RTMT.

"Allow of Control of Device from CTI":

on the CSF Device Page ok

on the SEP Device Page ok

on the User Page (ExtMob) - not sure if it should be checked here, but I did it anyway.

I do not really understand where this is located:

"Allow of Control of Device from CTI" is checked under "user settings", under the "DN" of the primary line of the Phone.

Thanks,

Dani

Yes, sorry on the EM is not needed, but on the DN the Allow Control is checked

I guess I will have to check further with the FW team.
Many thanks for your support, much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Dani

Good luck.
If all good with the FW then try downloading the CTI-Manager logs from RTMT and look there for the issue.

Thanks

Hi Alexey,

It seems that:

the user should not be associated to the Standard CTI Secure Connection group: 

Solution 4: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-personal-communicator/113300-cupc-deskphone-issue.html#p12

I had all the Groups assigned to my user and after removing the Standard CTI Secure Connection group, the issue was resolved and I can control the Desk Phone in Jabber.

I do not have a full explanation for this, I still have to do some research though...

I did not collect yet the CTI Manager Logs, but it would be interesting to see how this error look like in the logs, it is on my to do list.

Many thanks for your replies to my post yesterday and for your support.

Regards,

Thanks for replying to my post yesterday, it was helpful 

Hi Dani,
Thanks for updating us. I'm glad that I could help a little.

I can only try and guess that you are not using encryption in your cluster, and all of the phones in the cluster are using non-encrypted SCCP/SIP. I think that this can explain why the removal of the "Standard CTI Secure Connection" worked for you.