cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Jabber Chat Groups for Future Communications

dmercurio1
Level 1
Level 1

Can we create groups with Jabber that allow us to click on a group and send a chat that will be received by everyone in that group?  I can start a group and send a chat to everyone, but if I need to send another chat later in the day to the same group of people, I need to recreate the group to communicate with all of them again.  

Dan

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to look into persistent chat for that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jamie,

Is there no way for Jabber to save and maintain a group as it does an individual?  

We are putting together a Business Development Center (BDC) for an Automotive Group.  The BDC will need to chat with Sales Management Groups from 10 different dealerships when customers have questions about pricing/leasing, etc.  We need to be able to send a chat that can be seen by all Sales Managers at a particular dealership and allow any one of the Sales Managers to respond to the chat.  We don't want our BDC to have to look up each individual Sales Manager for a particular dealership every time they need to communicate with that dealership.  Is there any way to have the group saved for future group chats?

A regular group chat will only exist in memory, if you need to reboot the server, if all people leave the room, etc. all the messages will be gone forever.

Any late joiners will only see the last 30 messages in the chat.

If a user chooses to leave the chat, they will no longer get any notifications.

If that is good enough for your scenario, you can use regular group chat.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate