cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 12.X upgrade mixed-mode

maburshaid1
Level 1
Level 1

am planning an upgrade from 11.5.1SU4 to 12.5.1SU1 , the current cluster is mixed-mode , i have the following concerns:

-regarding the license migration to smart account , i should do that before the upgrade as i understood from the document , is there any detailed document showing the procedure ? 

-since my cluster is mixed-mode , do i need to do anything before the upgrade in order to keep mixed-mode running ? and is there any special/specific config for the smart license ? 

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

At the very least you want to have your smart account and virtual account created and enabled prior to the migration.

If the licenses are already in the system, you'll see them under Convert to Smart Licensing, if not, you'll need to get licensing to help with the migration.

You get 90 days to fix any licensing issues.

In order to allow encryption, your smart account/virtual account need to have export-controlled enabled, and your registration token needs to have that option enabled when you generate it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks,
But currently my system is in mixed-mode so after upgrading the system it will keep mixed-mode enabled ?
And regarding the export controlled enabled smart account how can i confirm that? And do i need to get the export restricted key license ?

But currently my system is in mixed-mode so after upgrading the system it will keep mixed-mode enabled ?

Yes, if you register the system with a token with export controlled enabled

And regarding the export controlled enabled smart account how can i confirm that?

Try to generate a token, if there's no checkbox for (or it's grayed out):

Allow export-controlled functionality on the products registered with this token.

It's NOT enabled, and you need to get that fixed

And do i need to get the export restricted key license ?

Info from the above option: Un-checking the box removes the ability to enable higher levels of product encryption functionality for products registered with this Registration Token.

HTH

java

Thank you Jamie,
So after upgrade system will be running on 90 days grace period , at this time mixed-mode will be enabled and encryption is working with no issues , correct?

Before the upgrade i need to migrate the plm licenses to smart account correct? So then i can check if the check box is there or not before the upgrade , if its there then am good and no need to get Export Restricted Authorization Key , am i right?

Also can i use smart satellite on prem when using the system in mixed mode ?

Yes, but not with encryption, anything that requires you to enable encryption, requires you to register to the smart licensing before that, someone had the same issue with enabling TLS on a SIP trunk security profile in those 90 days, and the system rejected the config, only after registration with export enabled token, the system allowed him to save that config.

HTH

java

What about config that already using encryption before the upgrade such as secure trunks or phones ? It will stop working ? What would happen here ?

Can i use smart satellite with mixed-mode cluster? Is there any limitation? Can i generate restricted tokens to use it through satellite ?

@Jaime Valencia  any idea regarding these questions ?