Views
Helpful
Replies

CWMS - 60 Hz ticking sound on calls

ddombektmg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello CWMS Followers:

We have a problem on some calls where our CWMS 1.5.1.131.A install is experiencing a background 60 Hz ticking sound.  The sound comes and goes on the calls.  The sound doesn't appear to follow a particular user.  By this I mean, everyone hears the sound.  Muting users hasn't helped.  The Webex user interface doesn't show which user is producing the audio.  I would expect to see one user making noise and the user that is speaking change to the new user, back and forth.

We have the following breakdown of users:

5 people on internal SIP G729. 

5 people on Verizon Cell (Dialing into SIP Gateway)

1 person on AT&T - (Dialing into SIP Gateway)

1 person on Landline (Dialing into SIP Gateway)

I am open to suggestions on how to debug further.

Thank you

David          

3 Replies 3

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

What is the size of your deployment?

Is the issue reproducible at will?

In order to identify if CWMS is the one introducing the ticking sound or something else, you would need to enable packet capture on switchports connecting to Media VMs of your CWMS solution.

Once capturing is enabled, reproduce the issue.

Once the issue is reproduced, collect the packet capture for the time of the issue, and generate Meeting Particular Logs for the affected meeting, as well as Overall System Logs for the time of the issue.

With captures and logs, include the information about the ANIs of the users in the call and details about the issue and open a TAC case.

Based on logs, we would have to identify the sockets for each RTP audio stream between participants and CWMS, use these sockets to filter packet captures and recover RTP audio streams and listen to them to see if the ticking sound was coming from a single participant and then just distributed by CWMS to everyone else, or it was CWMS that was introducing the problem.

Also, there is a CWMS 1.5.1.323A Maintenance Release 3 that addresses some known issues with audio quality (but not anything similar to 60Hz ticking sound).

I hope this will help.

-Dejan

Dejan:

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We have a 250 install in an HA.  We don't have IRP and the problem is with PCN.  The problem is not reproducible at this time.

We will work on gathering the required information.

Since the problem is not present on all calls, is there any benefit to trying to capture port traffic after the calls are setup or in the middle of a conference call?

Is there any way to perform perform a packet capture on the CWMS directly instead of going through the network interface externally?

Dave

Hi Dave,

If you are sure you will get a report of the issue as it is happening (and not afterwards), you can setup packet capture at the time the issue is reported on both Primary and HA Media VM (as they load balance).

In order to collect packet capture on CWMS you would have to have CLI access (which is blocked) and it also affects performance significantly. Hence, think of it as there is no supported way to collect packet captures on CWMS directly.

I hope this helps.

-Dejan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: