Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber + AnyConnect

chris.barlow1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

What is the best practice these days for using Jabber when WFH? Do your users just go via a VPN (we use AnyConnect) or do you use split tunneling to route Jabber via Expressway MRA? Keen to understand which is right for my organisation.

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod.s
Level 3
Level 3

Jabber login via expressway mra is best option for WFH users.

This will avoid user for multiple login and also avoid dependancy of VPN .

User can use VPN as an alternate option if there is any outage in DMZ.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vinod.s
Level 3
Level 3

Jabber login via expressway mra is best option for WFH users.

This will avoid user for multiple login and also avoid dependancy of VPN .

User can use VPN as an alternate option if there is any outage in DMZ.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any docs to explain this for AnyConnect? The only document I have found is from 2012!

You will not get anyconnect doc for jabber easily.
Recommended solution for jabber WFH is MRA deployment only .

Following guide explains how to configure your ASA firewall to split-tunnel Jabber traffic and force it to go through Expressway (MRA).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Borderless_Networks/Unified_Access/BYOD_Design_Guide/BYOD_CollabEdge.html#pgfId-1029370

Beside ASA configuration, ensure your DNS configuration is correct as well for Jabber SRV record _collab-edge._tls. Previous sections in the linked document explain that.

Hope this can help.

Sylvain.

AFlack20
Level 1
Level 1

Does jabber for iOS/android devices still support the use of anyconnect mobile vpn???

I understand this is not the recommended solution, and ideally we'd use an expressway. I don't believe I will be able to make that sale to management at this time, but if I can demonstrate value add via anyconnect perhaps it would make the idea of an expressway more appealing in the future.