Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Everyone and CUCM User / Device Licence Issues

b.loqueman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am currently writing a spec for a replacement for our CUCM system and need to know what licences will be needed to move from Cisco IP Communicator to Jabber for Desktop (on Windows) whilst also adopting the Jabber for Everyone offer to provide users who don't have a phone with basic IM/Presence/Chat functionality - through their own BYOD devices.

Can someone kindly provide a basic run down of the licence requirements for the following scenario:

All users currently have extension mobility and either log into a Cisco IP Phone 7945 or Cisco IP Communicator. They all are able to hot desk. They all have voicemail via Unity Connection.

We use roaming windows profiles, so users can move from PC to PC and therefore choose to login to either a desktop Phone OR a Cisco IP Communicator softphone to pick up/place their calls.

If we only upgrade users to Enhanced UCL and NOT Enhanced UCL Plus, we can only user a single device per user – is this correct, and is this the same as we do now (with extension mobility).

But this means (can you confirm/correct the following):

1. A computer that had IP Communicator installed has this replaced with Cisco Jabber Client in Phone Mode. This means that any user with an Enhanced UCL Licence with extension mobility can log into that computer and log into that Jabber client to access voicemail as well as place calls as they do now.

1. A computer which does not have IP Communicator installed, but which is sitting next to a Cisco 7945 Desktop Phone, will have Cisco Jabber Client installed in CTI Controlled Mode. The user here again only requires an Enhanced UCL Licence with extension mobility. But they use the phone primarily and can use some integration features to control the phone from their desktop PC.

Are the two scenarios above non-user specific; i.e. the SAME user can move from computer 1) to computer 2) and when they log in, the licence requirement is covered, AND no reconfiguration is required by the telephony administrator.

OR is the choice between ‘IP Communicator’ in phone mode or in CTI mode something which is unique per user?

Cisco Jabber for Everyone

With the Cisco Jabber for Everyone facility, I understand that I can apply freely the capability to use the Jabber client for IM/Presence only throughout the organisation with no licence implications.

Am I correct in assuming this is by registering/creating or syncing users from our active directory into the CUCM system, but only assigning them IM/Presence and no device licences.

We therefore have two types of user:

1. Someone who currently has no licence at all in CUCM – these would be able to use IM/Presence only on, for example, their own personal BYOD device with the Jabber Client

1. Someone who has an Enhanced UCL Licence but NOT a plus Licence. Can they still download and use the IM/Presence only facilities of the Jabber Client on their personal devices (BYOD) or offsite at home – of course with NO voice/voicemail or other services.

Bottom Line

I want to avoid purchasing any Enhanced UCL Plus licences ! But still want to maintain the functionality that we currently have but ‘add in’ the free jabber im/presence facility across the board.

0 Replies 0