cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Group chat behaviour

kkelly
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody please confirm the following is true and that I didn't miss a configuration setting somewhere.

Jabber is new-ish and there is great confusion around Group Chat and replication/membership between a users PC and iPhone  We are version Jabber 11.9 , CUPS 11.5 so pretty up to date.

A user is logged into a PC and their iPhone is idle (jabber not running) and is invited to a group chat.

-  PC is configured to Auto Join Group Chat.

- The PC does not pop up a Notification of the Group Chat the only indication of the join is if you hover over the Jabber service on the tool bar and will indicate a conversation window is available.

-  The iPhone get a push notification that they have been invited to a group chat.

- The user joins the group chat on the PC and accepts the invite on the the iPhone. Messages sync fine from other Group members to both my PC and iPhone.

- But now I exit Jabber on my PC, and Login again. The PC has lost it’s connection to the group chat, but the iPhone is still a member. So the user has stayed joined to the group chat because of his iPhone, but the PC can no longer participate and cannot be brought back into the chat because his iPhone is still a member and will remain so because of Push Notifications.

-  Now if the iPhone deletes the Group Chat, the “leave” is not reported upstream and the Group Chat still thinks the user is still an active member, but the iPhone no longer receives messages from the group chat directly in the client or by push notification. 

-  And, in the beginning, if the user never accepted the invitation on the iPhone they would be “out” of the group chat permanently.  

The users finding this quite complicated … Oh and only one to one chats are restored on “Remember Chat History”

I get that Persistent Chat is probably the solution for this but it's not the works for iOS till Spring 2018 ?!? 12.1 ?

0 Replies 0