Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Hayden McFadyen on 17-08-2010 04:02:16 AM
Hi guys,

firstly, thanks for everyones help so far ;)

I have gone through most of the documentation links on the cisco site but haven't had much luck finding any documentation on the AXL functions specifically. What I'm after is some form of docco which lists the AXL functions, what inputs they need and whay they do. Do this actually exist? If so can you please point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Hayden

Subject: RE: AXL function documentation
Replied by: David Staudt on 17-08-2010 06:10:35 PM
AXL is a web service which accepts XML documents in a particular format/schema and returns them as well.  If you are looking for a listing of all the available requests and their corresponding XML document formats and particulars, the 'Interface Spec' documents such as '8.0(1) Cisco Unified Communications Manager Admin XML Interface Spec (zip)' should help.

The final definition of the AXL interface will be the XSD and WSDL schema files for AXL.  These are available for download from the UCM server appliance itself under Applications/Plugins.

Replied by: Geoffrey Carman on 15-02-2013 12:22:25 PM
David Staudt:
AXL is a web service which accepts XML documents in a particular format/schema and returns them as well.  If you are looking for a listing of all the available requests and their corresponding XML document formats and particulars, the 'Interface Spec' documents such as '8.0(1) Cisco Unified Communications Manager Admin XML Interface Spec (zip)' should help.

The final definition of the AXL interface will be the XSD and WSDL schema files for AXL.  These are available for download from the UCM server appliance itself under Applications/Plugins.

The problem with the WSDL is that it does not tell you all sorts of important things.  Like.  Wildcard is not * it is % and I only figured it out by guessing.  A field like <pattern> means what?  What goes in it? 

Not all is obvious, and the WSDL does not define what data should go in each field, only the bare minimum (0-100 chars in size, or the like). 
Or that the <dirn uuid="{1234-123-123-12334}> is the Directory Numbers uuid, vs the parent nodes @uuid="{123-1231-13-123} or the like.

There is a word for this I am missing to describe what I want.  I am thinking metadata but this is wrong. 

Replied by: David Staudt on 15-02-2013 12:38:40 PM
Would have to admit you're right - there is a lot of detail that could be added to the WSDL or the AXL docs to make it easier to understand how to use the API in relation to the actual UCM product.  We are trying to put together an 'AXL Cookbook' area with some of this information, feel free to request an example from here: http://developer.cisco.com/downloads/axl/cookbook/overview.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links