Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Jeff Russell on 20-02-2013 09:55:32 AM
We are in the process of switching all of our IVR development (existing and future) over to Cisco. We have identified all of the core functionality that would be needed for our IVR's, and have mapped most of the functionality (80%+) to pre-existing CVP script elements (e.g. Webservices, Form_with_Confirm, etc.). What we would like to do, is extend and/or customize existing CVP elements, and have them available in a library to be "dragged and dropped" so that we don't have to configure properties EVERY TIME we add a basic element to an IVR.
For example, part of the IVR script would prompt a user to key in an 11-Digit Membership Number. Normally, you would use a Digits_With_Confirm element for this. I would like to have the validation (11-digits) , name/location of the audio files, number of retries (always 3), etc. already be set up, and compiled into a "Membership Number Confirm" element so I do not have to configure each of these properties every time.
Is there a "simple" way to extend each of these elements to do this? Or, would I need to build the functionality for each "customized" element essentially from scratch?
We are trying to follow the "resuable code" principle, and avoid a lot of copy/paste scenarios when building IVR's.
Thanks in advance!

Subject: RE: New Message from Jeff Russell in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Training
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 20-02-2013 10:02:14 AM
You can write custom elements and these are pretty easy to write.  Look at the samples here:
http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/documentation

Also just as a reminder the no of retries is by default set to 3, audio file location is also set at global level.  In all cases you may not need custom elements.  Depending on how big your call flow is and what you need, I would not have a custom element for each digit, ie one for entering 1 digit, 1 for entering 2 digits etc . That would be a overkill.
Hemal
From: Cisco Developer Community Forums [mailto:cdicuser@developer.cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:56 AM
To: cdicuser@developer.cisco.com
Subject: New Message from Jeff Russell in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - Training Forum: Extending Existing CVP Script Elements

Jeff Russell has created a new message in the forum "Training Forum": -------------------------------------------------------------- We are in the process of switching all of our IVR development (existing and future) over to Cisco. We have identified all of the core functionality that would be needed for our IVR's, and have mapped most of the functionality (80%+) to pre-existing CVP script elements (e.g. Webservices, Form_with_Confirm, etc.). What we would like to do, is extend and/or customize existing CVP elements, and have them available in a library to be "dragged and dropped" so that we don't have to configure properties EVERY TIME we add a basic element to an IVR.
For example, part of the IVR script would prompt a user to key in an 11-Digit Membership Number. Normally, you would use a Digits_With_Confirm element for this. I would like to have the validation (11-digits) , name/location of the audio files, number of retries (always 3), etc. already be set up, and compiled into a "Membership Number Confirm" element so I do not have to configure each of these properties every time.
Is there a "simple" way to extend each of these elements to do this? Or, would I need to build the functionality for each "customized" element essentially from scratch?
We are trying to follow the "resuable code" principle, and avoid a lot of copy/paste scenarios when building IVR's.
Thanks in advance!
--
To respond to this post, please click the following link: http://developer.cisco.com/web/cvp/community/-/message_boards/view_message/12164555 or simply reply to this email.

Subject: RE: Extending Existing CVP Script Elements
Replied by: Janine Graves on 20-02-2013 10:46:43 AM
Jeff,
I'm uploading an example (ExtendedElementExample.java) that Audium used to provide.
It shows how to extend the Form element by adding another Setting and modifying the runtime method (addXmlBody).
In your case, you don't really need to modify the runtime method - you just want to modify the Settings and/or their default value, and/or the Audio.
Each element (eg, DigitsWithConfirm) is defined by a Java class that you can extend. Look in the ElementSpecifications ref manual - the class name is the very last entry for each element.
Look also in the CVP Programming Guide and the Javadocs for more details on extending elements.      
When you extend an element, you'll need to include the elements.jar in your class path.
Good luck, Janine

Subject: RE: Extending Existing CVP Script Elements
Replied by: Jameson Gagnepain on 02-04-2013 03:25:24 PM
Perhaps using Call Studio "Element Groups" would be a simpler solution to this? Once you have an element configured properly which you'd like to re-use elsewhere, you could group that single element, then save the group so it shows up in your "Element Groups" folder in Call Studio.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links