Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Matthew J Denapoli on 07-06-2011 06:28:41 AM
My company has developed a device with a USB host interface. I would like to connect Cisco Cius to that device for reading and storing data through USB. 
Is there any kind of API to manage Cisco Cius USB interface?

Subject: RE: USB programming
Replied by: David Staudt on 07-06-2011 01:16:15 PM
Interesting...can you elaborate a bit more on the solution and what kinds of USB management capabilities are required?

Replied by: Matthew J Denapoli on 09-06-2011 06:32:28 AM
Interesting...can you elaborate a bit more on the solution and what kinds of USB management capabilities are required?

We have developed an electronic device equipped with a USB host controller. What we want is to connect Cisco Cius to our device by USB according to that scheme

Device (USB master) <--- USB cable ---> Cisco Cius (USB slave)

I have read that the Google has introduced API for USB management for Android (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/index.html). These APIs are available only for Android 2.3.4 and 3.1 version (API level 10 and 12). By that API you are able to manage Android USB interface: you can put Android in USB host mode or accessory mode, listen if some device is connected, exchange data and so on.

The problem is that Cisco Cius has Android 2.2 version and these APIs are not available. So... Does Cisco provide alternative APIs for USB management? Or what kind of solution we may adopt to solve our problem?

Thanks

Replied by: David Staudt on 29-06-2011 05:24:48 PM
Thanks for the additional details, your solution sounds intriguing.  However as I understand it we don't currently have any extended USB APIs exposed for 3rd party use, and the Cius's Android 2.2 OS does not yet include the new features you mention.

Would like to gather more details from you on the features needed and business opportunity, if you don't mind please send an email to cisco-developer-network@cisco.com with your request.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links