Views
Helpful
Replies

Rating posts

csco365798
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been following the Netpro forum for a while now, reading posts for their excellent technical content, and appreciating the enormous effort everybody makes to explain issues, and to get problems resolved.

I understand that rating posts is supposed to be a way to quickly browse through the forums and find the right answers. I noticed, though, that some forum members explicitly ask people to rate their posts, almost regardless of the content. The idea seems to be to quickly catapult oneself to the top of the list, or maybe to use the rating system as a way to enhance one's resume. While this is, in my opinion, not only unfair to all other members (those who do not scream for points), it also makes the rating system rather unuseful, since the rating often does not make sense with regard to the content of the post. So my suggestion would be to either make it obligatory to rate all posts from everyone, or to leave it up to the original poster to rate a post. It should not be allowed to explicitly demand points.

This, of course, doesn't take away that the Netpro forum is definitely the place to be when you need quick answers from top experts !

Regards,

Jim

31 Replies 31

I find it distasteful to ask "Please rate helpful posts", but I do it anyway. Many posters seem to be unaware of the rating system. It does seem to reduce the number of "many thanks for your help" responses with no rating.

Perhaps when starting a new conversation there could be a short blurb on using the rating system that would have to be achowledged before posting.

This is exactly what I meant. There is a previous post from Dan Bruhn, where Dan asks for suggestions to improve the rating system. I think this is a very good suggestion: acknowledge that you are aware of the rating system before posting. This way, everybody has a much more even chance to get a rating...

Quick Links