Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot delete device

tyhill2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an APIC-EM server running 1.6.0.30151. I provisioned a switch successfully, so I deleted the device from Devices window. Now when I go back into projects to add the device back in, I get an error saying that the device cannot be added to the project because it is already linked to a rule.

The switch is not in the inventory list and using the API functions, it is not found in the inventory. How do I remove this switch so that I can provision is again?

Thank you

Ty

4 Replies 4

tyhill2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

After further digging into this issue, I was finally able to get this device deleted. Here is how I did it.

I used the API Delete pnp-device/"device-id". Once I ran this using Postman, the switch is now deleted from the database.

Ty

steffenwebb
Level 4
Level 4

I have also seen this issue in version 1.5 with another error message.

"Unale to create rule because theres a device with matching serial number xxxxxx in provisioning state (PROVISIONED)"

Must be a bug that continues to live...

-Steffen

Same on APIC-EM 1.5.0.1368. When I delete the device using GUI/API, it's no longer in APIC (not possible to find it in GUI for sure), but I can't create a new PnP request for the same device. I get an error: "Unable to create rule because there's device with matching serial number XXX"

Not sure if this is a feature, but I've found devices that started to provision in /pnp-device in addition to /pnp-project/<id>/device list. So as soon as device contacts APIC-EM, the second record in /pnp-device is created. If you delete both records, e.g. by serial number, there is no more issue. So I just had to alter the "delete" procedure a litte. Hope, this helps.

by any chance you have an example syntax of your altered delete procedure / script? thanks in advance