Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI with Terraform: "This has been created from Orchestrator"

ahlgrenjm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to prevent the message "This has been created from Orchestrator", and the "Terraform" icon from being displayed in ACI when configuring objects using Terraform? I have a scenario where I want to initially create most objects using Terraform but turn the deployment over to an end customer who will be using the UI to configure going forward.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can set the annotation as an argument in the resources (just set it to ""). Here is an example for the tenant resource:

resource "aci_tenant" "example" {
  name        = "demo_tenant"
  description = "from terraform"
  annotation  = ""
}

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Yes, you need to clear the annotation. TF sets it to "orchestrator:terraform" like:

{
"totalCount": "1",
"imdata": [{
"fvAp": {
"attributes": {
"annotation": "orchestrator:terraform",
"descr": "",
"dn": "uni/tn-L2_Transit/ap-SONOFI",
"name": "DEMO",
"nameAlias": "",
"ownerKey": "",
"ownerTag": "",
"prio": "unspecified",
"userdom": ":all:common:"
}
}
}
]
}

So once you delete that annotation, the icon and message go away. I have not tried just manually setting the annotation to Null in TF but that should work as well.

Thanks. I'm new to TF but I don't see that annotation in my TF files. Is it added automatically by TF?  I'll keep looking around as I may have missed it.

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can set the annotation as an argument in the resources (just set it to ""). Here is an example for the tenant resource:

resource "aci_tenant" "example" {
  name        = "demo_tenant"
  description = "from terraform"
  annotation  = ""
}

It doesn't work in my environment. Terraform v1.5.4, Provider aci v2.9.0 and Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Version: 5.2(4e)

Even if you provide an empty string as the annotation argument you see the icon? If yes, try to set the annotaion argument as "dummy" or some other string. Not sure if it works, but it's worth a try.

I've set annotation argument as "dummy" and I don't see the icon but if you save the object in xml I see  annotation="dummy". If I change iafter apply  annotation="" and make    terraform plan the messages is 

No changes. Your infrastructure matches the configuration.