Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Nicklas Wagerth
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We all know that network energy usage is extremely high and growing!

Did you know that just powering up the wireless access networks consumes almost 100TWh/year (2020) and that it can be compared with the entire electricity use in Sweden (130TWh/year)? It is estimated to grow 2-4 times by 2030 according to Anders S.G. Andrae, a well-cited scientist in his paper "New perspectives on internet electricity use in 2030".  Figures like this indicate that we have a huge problem but also a huge potential to reduce global emissions. What strikes me the most is that Anders claims that we overestimate the power saving potential in the next decade.

What can we do?

I want to prove him wrong and challenge the Automation Developer Community to innovate and collaborate more. My colleagues and I strongly believe in the potential of Network Automation and need your help to drive Network Sustainability. More precisely we need examples of use cases that we can co-develop together with you. We introduced Sustainability as a new topic on the agenda at Automation Developer Days in May.  I am now launching a "3-Quick-Question" Survey to probe your appetite to continue this work. If we get concrete input, I will make sure we set up workshops and hackathons or whatever we find needed to take the next step! I am committed to make difference, are you?

Join the movement and answer the questions below!

4 Comments
Nicklas Wagerth
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Participants can vote at slido.com with the code #2953020
and passcode uhf5kg

Maria Palmero Amador
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nicklas, it will be great if we could extend the deadline, as IMPACT is happening this week, and there are a few more partners that we could still reach next week

Nicklas Wagerth
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marisol, I have extended the dates for the survey upon your request!

The Sustainability Survey will now be open until Sept 12, 2022.

Thank you for engaging!

Nicklas Wagerth
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Today is the last day to respond to this survey on Sustainability!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: