cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DataCenter buildout vpc without vxlan still have spine/leaf redundancy

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

I am just learning about VPC and VXLAN, and I am very confused with the concepts. Could VPC be used with traditional STP without the need of VXLAN and BGP? I have a very small spin and leaf topology, and it seems that VXLAN with BGP is a overkill for my solution that VPC could be used with static routes in/out of my routing CORE.

What are some good resources for VXLAN and/or VPC deployment guides?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

vPC (virtual port-channel) is a MC-LAG (multi-chassis link aggregation group) type of technology specific to Nexus switches. It's role is basically to make two Nexus switches appear as a single logical device to any device (switch, router, server etc) that supports link aggregation (static or LACP).
By far the best reference for vPC is this: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf
Document was written for Nexus 7000, but all concepts applies to the full Nexus family.
If you prefer the video presentations, then I would suggest you to have a look at ciscolive BRKDCT-2378.
As you will see in the CL session, vPC is an independent technology but it can be used in combination with any of the following: STP, FEXs, Fabricpath (also known as VPC+), VXLAN.

For your specific scenario, you can use vpc without vxlan :-) 

Hope it helps,
Sergiu

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

vPC (virtual port-channel) is a MC-LAG (multi-chassis link aggregation group) type of technology specific to Nexus switches. It's role is basically to make two Nexus switches appear as a single logical device to any device (switch, router, server etc) that supports link aggregation (static or LACP).
By far the best reference for vPC is this: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf
Document was written for Nexus 7000, but all concepts applies to the full Nexus family.
If you prefer the video presentations, then I would suggest you to have a look at ciscolive BRKDCT-2378.
As you will see in the CL session, vPC is an independent technology but it can be used in combination with any of the following: STP, FEXs, Fabricpath (also known as VPC+), VXLAN.

For your specific scenario, you can use vpc without vxlan :-) 

Hope it helps,
Sergiu

@Sergiu.Daniluk 

I want to learn about VXLAN and Internal BGP, since it is the future and I want to stay innovative; however, due to my team size I think VXLAN and iBGP will not get vetted.

Due to the latter, is why I was looking at VPC and the benefits of all links UP. Not to mention there is no routing done on any edge devices other then the core.

Thank you for the links as always!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: