Views
Helpful
Replies

DPLL firmware error after upgrade from 9.3.9 to any newer version

cheetah1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,
I'm facing a firmware error, after upgrading the N9K-C93180YC-FX3 switch from 9.3.9 to any newer version, the switch keeps appearing in this log, and then rebooting.
%TCTRL_USD-SLOT1-2-TCTRL_USD_FW_UPGRADE_REBOOT: Dpll firmware updated from 0x0 to 0x1770 !!!System will reload in few seconds...!!!

Has anyone encountered this situation and been able to handle it? If it can be handled, how can it be handled?

4 Replies 4

f00z
Level 3
Level 3

I believe 9.3.10 introduced the DPLL firmware update, it should update the firmware and reboot and not do it again. The message is normal the first time.  Could try power cycling it (total power off, unplug power, wait a minute before reconnecting). It should only reboot twice (once for upgrade and once after)

I have several N9K-C93180YC-FX3 switches, and during the upgrade test, all except one worked fine. The one switch is continuously rebooting. I've already tried power cycling, but it's still showing the same error as before. Do you have any other suggestions for fixing this?

Things to try:

Check EPLD versions and upgrade if necessary so they match the others.
Try 9.3.13?
Try 10.x  (like 10.2.6 maybe), see if that works then downgrade it back to 9.3.13 if that's what you want to use.
Reformat/Reinstall the whole thing from USB.
Go into recovery boot mode and run the upgrade script yourself to see if it actually works

The EPLD version matches with other switches, and it's consistent with Cisco's documentation
I have formatted the USB before proceeding and continued to test upgrading to versions 9.3.10, 9.3.13, 10.2.5, 10.2.6, but still encountered errors
Booting directly from the bootloader with 9.3.10, 9.3.13, 10.2.5, 10.2.6 also resulted in errors
Additionally, I tried restoring all system file partitions to default, then restarted the OS from scratch, but it still resulted in continuous reboot errors ....