cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Routing Peering Directly Over a vPC Connection

dennis.mao
Level 1
Level 1

In this scenario as the attached file, the Layer 3 peering between the external router and the Cisco Nexus 9000 switches that are part of a same vPC domain is established directly on a VLAN carried on the vPC connection. The external router in this case peers with SVI interfaces defined on each vPC device. This deployment model requires configuring layer3 peer-router command as part of the vPC domain.

My question is that the vPC connection which carry the VLAN  for layer 3 peering purpose can also carry other VLANs for layer 2 trunk purpose ? or the vPC connection which carry the VLAN  for layer 3 peering purpose should be created additionally and  is different from the vPC connection which carry the VLANs for layer2 trunk purpose ?

6 Replies 6

dennis.mao
Level 1
Level 1

Jason Leschnik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is nothing special about a vPC VLAN which carries L3 traffic. You can think of this as just any regular on L2 trunk.

Hi Jason,

You mean that the vPC connection which carry the VLAN  for layer 3 peering purpose can also carry other VLANs for layer 2 trunk purpose.  The vPC connection which carry the VLAN  for layer 3 peering purpose is not  created additionally and separately.

Dennis

Do you have a diagram of the links which you are referencing, I think we might be talking about different things here.

Hi Jason

Attached file is the document which I reference.

There is a vPC connection which carry vlans for L2 trunk purpose between two pair N9K switches currently. Can I  follow the document which I reference in the attached file and enable L3 dynamic routing  over the current vPC connection which carry vlans for L2 trunk between two pair N9K switches without creating separated vPC connection which carry only vlan for L3 routing additionally ? Thanks.

Dennis

Hi Jason,

Additional remark :  The vPC connection I described in my question is vPC "port-channel" not vPC "peer-link".

Dennis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: