Views
Helpful
Replies

Exact difference and features between Gen1 and Gen2 Nexus ACI devices

MoulaAli480
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I could not understand what is the exact difference or extra benefits/features between Gen1 and Gen2 nexus ACI devices.

Like example nexus 9k devices (Spine/leaf). could someone please me like a points base scenario difference. 

Thanks & Regards,

Moula

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The ASIC on 2nd gen is a newer one with more capabilities, while the ASICs on 1st gen are old and limited in capabilities.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @MoulaAli480 

The main difference is the hardware architecture:

• first gen switches have 2x ASICs - one merchant silicon (NFE) and one cisco asic (ALE/ALE2)
  • second gen and later switches have only 1x ASIC and it's a cisco one (cloud scale family)

Because of these, the first gen has limited scalability and limited or no support for A LOT of features. And trust me.. there are way too many features to start listing them all. Most of them are mentioned in config guides or whitepapers.

For example: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/whitepapers/cisco-application-centric-infrastructure-design-guide.html

search for "generation" and you will find a lot of things mentioned.

Take care,

Sergiu

HI Sergiu,

Good day!

Thanks for the reply.

For the below point what is the exact benefit using 1xASIC other than
2xASIC's.

first gen switches have 2x ASICs - one merchant silicon (NFE) and one cisco
asic (ALE/ALE2) second gen and later switches have only 1x ASIC and it's a
cisco one (cloud scale family)

Regards,
Moula Ali

The ASIC on 2nd gen is a newer one with more capabilities, while the ASICs on 1st gen are old and limited in capabilities.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card