Views
Helpful
Replies

GNSS-LED always - bright red - at Cisco Nexus 93180YC-FX3 chassis

r.heitmann
Level 1
Level 1

Nexus 93180YC-FX3 switches contain an "GNSS" LED at their front

* which is not part of the documentation (hardware installation guide for example)

Since "feature frequency-synchronization" has to be licensed (DCN SyncE Add-On License)
* GNSS seems to be not configurable.

Any idea, how to disable this bright red LED, which suggests some alarm-state to be resolved is active?

23 Replies 23

ncunat5488
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried something that is working at least in 10.3(4a) and 10.4(3) but it's not permanent -> the issue is here again after a reboot.

conf t
feature frequency-synchronization
no feature frequency-synchronization
end

I also tried a copy run start after that but it's the same.

Hopefully there will be a permanent fix in a future release in the 10.3 or 10.4 train

That seemed to work for us as well on a C93180YC-FX3 running 10.4.3F.  It will probably re-assert after a reboot, but it's a painless workaround for now.

jaywi11
Level 1
Level 1

Well I am running 10.4(2) on Nexus9000 C93180YC-FX3 Chassis. I did try your suggestion @ncunat5488 , unfortunately it did not clear the flashing Red/Yellow light.

I found that the following seems to work. I have issued the following commands which have turned off the receiver, and the status lights have turned off:-

gnss-receiver sync 01/02
shutdown
end

The 01/02 came from the output provided when you issue the "show gnss-receiver" command (example below)

show gnss-receiver
GNSS-receiver SYNC 01/02
    Position: 0:0:0 N  0:0:0 E  0.000 m
    Time: 2173910641 (UTC offset: 0s)

I am running a Nexus C93180YC-FX3 on 10.4(3) and the commands above had no effect.

I see the receiver using "show gnss-receiver" but doing "shutdown" on it did not clear the red LED.

johnsmith2111
Level 1
Level 1

Here are a few alternative solutions you might consider until the release of NX-OS 10.2(6):

1. Monitor for Updates:

• Regularly check for updates on the official platform or subscribe to notifications regarding the new software release. This will ensure you are informed as soon as NX-OS 10.2(6) is available.
  2. Contact Support:

• Reach out to Cisco support for any potential workarounds that might not be publicly documented. Sometimes, support teams have interim solutions or can provide specific guidance based on your hardware and use case.
  3. Disable GNSS:

• If GNSS functionality is not critical for your operations, consider disabling the GNSS feature temporarily to avoid the red light issue. This can usually be done via the command-line interface (CLI) or the device’s management interface.
  4. Visual Management:

• If the red light is causing confusion or operational concerns, use labels or documentation to inform your team about the known issue and the upcoming fix. This can help mitigate the impact until the issue is resolved in the next release.
  5. Evaluate Downgrade Options:

• If the new features or fixes in versions 10.2(3) to 10.2(5) are not critical for your operation, consider downgrading to a previous stable version that doesn’t have the GNSS light issue. www-njmcdirects.com
  6. Temporary Replacement:

• If the GNSS functionality is critical and you cannot wait for the update, consider temporarily replacing the affected switches with models running unaffected software versions.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or additional details on any of these solutions.

Hey, guys!  Look!  Another AI-generated comment!  About as valuable as what you paid for it!

ncunat5488
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Seems to be fixed in 10.3(5)

ncunat5488_0-1718617965563.png

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/nx-os/nexus9000/103x/release-notes/cisco-nexus-9000-nxos-release-notes-1035.html

Not the chance to test if it's really working because we are in production with the 10.4 train and I will not do a downgrade to test the fix.
I'll continue to use the workaround I found for now.

Confirmed.  We upgraded some of our 93180s to 10.3.5 and the problem was resolved.  We upgraded some of our 93180s to 10.4.3 and the problem persists there, but the workaround of adding "feature frequency-synchronization" and then removing it is still a valid workaround.  (Problem re-asserts itself on reboot.)

Is this another AI bot?