cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is "prefix-suppression" a feature now on the NX-OS OSPFv2/v3?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

With Nexus 9K, specifically N93180YC-FX, running v9.3(6), is OSPF "prefix-suppression" still not supported? Looking for a confirmation.

I did check the Cisco feature navigator (https://cfnng.cisco.com/) but it is outdated for NX-OS...

I did try on the switch, but I can not find any related command under either OSPFv2/v3 process OR interface configuration mode...

I did search in the CLI reference and found nothing...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

I can confirm that the OSPF "prefix-suppression" command present in IOS/IOS-XE is not supported in NX-OS at this time.

Looking internally, I do not see any requests for this to be added to the product roadmap, but I don't have the best visibility into that kind of information. @Sergiu.Daniluk's suggestion regarding how to make this feature request is correct - I recommend contacting your Cisco account manager or sales representatives to request that this feature be added to NX-OS in a future software release.

Let me know if you have any other questions - thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @m1xed0s 

I searched as well for this feature and looks like it doesn't exist on NXOS yet and there is no corresponding alternatives.

Cheers,

Sergiu

Hope someone from Cisco could help chime in. Also wonder why the simple feature would not be available for L3 switch platforms.

If you are looking for a feature request, it would be a good idea to contact the local cisco account manager (or any of your local cisco representatives) and make this request officially. If there is a business case for it, then it can be prioritized by the INSBU.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thanks! I understand the path for a feature request but for now I just hope to get some official confirmation.

Maybe @Christopher Hart can have a look internally if this feature was ever requested.

Cheers,
Sergiu

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

I can confirm that the OSPF "prefix-suppression" command present in IOS/IOS-XE is not supported in NX-OS at this time.

Looking internally, I do not see any requests for this to be added to the product roadmap, but I don't have the best visibility into that kind of information. @Sergiu.Daniluk's suggestion regarding how to make this feature request is correct - I recommend contacting your Cisco account manager or sales representatives to request that this feature be added to NX-OS in a future software release.

Let me know if you have any other questions - thank you!

-Christopher

Thanks for the confirmation! One last question: is "OSPF prefix-suppression" supported on the IOS-XE switch platforms, like the C9300/C9500? I do not think so...

Hi!

I specialize in the Nexus product line, so I'm not the most authoritative source of information on whether OSPF prefix suppression is definitely supported on Catalyst 9300 or 9500 switches. With that being said, I grabbed a handful in the lab and was able to configure OSPF prefix suppression without issue:

C9500-1#show module 
Switch  Ports    Model                Serial No.   MAC address     Hw Ver.       Sw Ver. 
------  -----   ---------             -----------  --------------  -------       --------
 1       50     C9500-40X             FCW2134A031  00a3.d145.8b80  V01           17.03.03   

C9500-2#show module 
Switch  Ports    Model                Serial No.   MAC address     Hw Ver.       Sw Ver. 
------  -----   ---------             -----------  --------------  -------       --------
 2       50     C9500-40X             FCW2237F0R7  00b8.b3c3.eb80  V01           16.9.4   

C9500-1#show running-config | section router ospf
router ospf 1
 prefix-suppression
 network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

C9500-2#show running-config | section router ospf
router ospf 1
 prefix-suppression
 network 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

C9500-1#show ip ospf | include suppress
 Prefix-suppression is enabled

C9500-2#show ip ospf | include suppress
 Prefix-suppression is enabled

Do you see any evidence or documentation suggesting these switches don't support this feature? If so, we can validate that and get it corrected.

Thank you!

-Christopher

Appreciate your effort. While I was researching for the "prefix-suppression" feature on NX-OS, especially with the feature naviagator, I got the feeling the feature is not available on any switching platforms, at least for OSPFv2...thats why I want to take advantage of this post to check for the C9Ks which I guess I am wrong  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: