Views
Helpful
Replies

"system startup-config init" corrupts VM

david.shinnick
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

After creating the VSM VM and running through the initial setup I wanted to see what would happen if I erased the startup configuration and reloaded.  After question marking out a bit I came across the "system startup-config init" command and figured that it would either erase what was held in the startup-config file or re-add the configuration that is in the startup-config to the running-config.

After executing the command I noticed that it did neither so I decided to issue a reload but the switch never came back.  Looking at the VM in vCenter revealed it was pegged at 100% CPU utillization. After numerous power-ons and power-offs I was still unable to make the switch load past the "Loading Loader, please wait" screen on the console.  I was able to reproduce this corruption 3 or 4 times always having to revert to a snap-shot I took post initial setup and will now obviously always use "write erase".  The same effect is seen whether I save my configuration before reloading or not.

Has this issue been documented?

What is the command supposed to do?

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

David,

The erase config command will keep the system software and just erase the config - allowing you to "start over" and re-configure the switch from the start-up dialog. 

The "system startup-config init" formats the disk of the VSM essentially wiping everything out.  As you've discovered this command should not be used to remove the configuration.  With this command the system software is wiped out as well so the Switch will not boot.

These commands should be documented in the 1000v Command Reference.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert, that would explain what was happening.

I should have realized that in this usage initialize means format however a little more explanation than "This example shows how to initialize the startup configuration file" in the documentation wouldn't hurt. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/command/reference/n1000v_cmds_s.html#wp1291803

I appreciate the info and your quick response.