cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sizing documentation

jkennedy1
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I find basic sizing documentation i.e. is it one VSM per datacenter, or per vCenter, how many VMs per VSM, etc.?

1 Reply 1

mmehta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The Nexus 1000V document on scalability-limits provides information in this regard. Here is the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/release/notes/N1000V_RN.html#wp56977

A bit more information in addition to the document link:

1) Data Center is a vCenter concept, and under a Data Center multiple vDS (distributed virtual switch) could be created.

Nexus 1000V VSM instance maps directly to a vDS instance, and a user can create multiple N1K vDS switches as

well under a data center in the vCenter.

2) on a vCenter, multiple Data Centers could be created. However, I beleive VMware does put a limit of 16 vDS per vCenter

and across Data-Centers.

3) One instance of VSM in the current release supports upto 2K Virtual Interfaces, which maps to the Virtual Machine

interfaces (VNICs), and also to the VM kernel nics (e.g. vmknic0, vswif0, ..). So the scalability limit is wrt the number

VNIC ports, and not with the VM count. For e.g. if a VM uses 2 VNICs on average,  ~1K VMs could be enabled.

I hope this help answer your queries. Please let us know if any additional information needed.

Regards,

Munish.