Views
Helpful
Replies

VEM control and managment via standard VMware switch

Patrick Colbeck
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

The VMware architect designing the ESXi 5 rollout wants to use Nexus 1000v but only for the 10Gb ports that will carry application data. For managment of the ESXi servers and vMotion etc plus mangment and control vlans for the VEMs he wants to use 1Gb ports running a standard VMware switch. This will be a L3 deplyment of a 1010 by the way.Will this work or does the L3 connection to the VEM have to go via the VEM itself ?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are going to run L3 than the the you have to put the L3 vmknic under VEM control. Unfortunately there is no way around that. The issue is the VEM doesn't know which interface to send control traffic out of until you add a vmknic to the VEM with a port-profile set with "L3 Control".

All the other management interfaces can be on the vSwitch. No issue with mixing vSwitch, VMware DVS and N1KV on the same ESX/ESXi hosts.

louis

My but your quick Louis

Thanks again for a clear answer. L3 control out the 10Gb VEM controlled uplinks it is then.

Have a great weekend.

Pat

I'd like to say I have nothing else to do, but it was luck. I saw the message and knew right away it needed to be on the VEM.

Make sure you have a good weekend as well :-)

louis

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card