cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSM and VEM's losing connectivity

daryn10
Level 1
Level 1

I've got 3 test ESX hosts in my test lab.

I installed the VSM on my ESX1 host; setup the control/packet/mgmt vlans, the physical switches are all set correctly.  I'm running the control/packet data over the same pNics/port-profile as VM traffic BTW.

I then installed the VEM on ESX1 host and assigned one of the pNics to the Nexus vDS, leaving the other with the local vSwitch until my VM's were switched to the Nexus vDS, I then installed the VEM on my other 2 esx hosts and assigned the two pNics that were doing vm traffic, created the port groups and what not and everything seemed to working fine, the migrated vm's on those 2 hosts worked on the new Nexus vDS just fine.

So I then went back to my ESX1 host and migrated the remaining pNic from the local vSwitch over to the Nexus vDS and then the VSM lost connectivity to all of the VEM's, a show module command only shows the 2 VSM's I created.  If I move one of the pNics back to the local vSwitch, the VEM's start showing up again.

What am I missing here?  It seems like the control vlan only works when conected to the local vSwitch on ESX1, which has me kind of stumped as to why, any help would be much appreciated.

15 Replies 15

ryan.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Daryn,

I think what is going on here is this:

Your uplink config looks OK to me (with the possible exception of what Liz pointed out above, good catch). However, you need to create port-profiles for your control, management, and packet VLANs (specifying system vlan directives in each) so you can assign them to the actual VSM VM.

Push those out to vCenter.

Then, try migrating your VSM over to the 1000v by right clicking the VM, and assigning the first three network adapters to the control, management, and packet profiles you created - in that order. You should see Veth interfaces via sh port-profile usage that detail the Network Adapters for the VSM.

Once done, you should be able to move the 2nd uplink over to the 1000v no problem.

My suspicion is that you're killing vSwitch connectivity without ever reassigning the network adapters inside the VM properties.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card