Views
Helpful
Replies

Android API for Cisco AnyConnect ICS+?

lisa.baumann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to ask if there is an API for the Cisco AnyConnect ICS+ Client that can be used within the Android SDK?

Or is there any other publicly available Android API that cen be used to built in / use Cisco VPN functionality in a third party app

within the Android SDK?

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lisa,

I think there is no Android API for AnyConnect ICS+. What is available is the .apk file which you can download from google play and install on your device. Please find Any Connect ICS+ from this url  Mobile Apps - About Cisco - Cisco Systems

Please let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Hi Geevarghese,

thank you for your answer. In the meanwhile I got an answer from a support team member.

No public API is available for Android. The suggested way to interact with AnyConnect on Android is through URI handling feature. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect30/administration/guide/anyconnectadmin30/acmobiledevices.html#pgfId-1011562

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Regards,

Lisa

The URI approach is simple, but far from ideal.  For example, how do I know if the VPN profile has been created already, or if the connection succeeded?  In Android, I tried startActivityForResult() , but sadly AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client appears to not return any result.   

Furthermore, how do I know if VPN has already started?  I guess I could monitor my mobile device's IP address for changes, but this seems error prone (e.g. maybe the user just switched from 4G to Wi-Fi).

Thanks!

-Jay