cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Word of the Week: Chaos Engineering

Paul Zimmerman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chaos in programming seems a little counterintuitive. When I think of good programming, I see modular, scalable, readable lines of clean, clear, and easy to understand code. I see well-designed computer networks with clearly defined nodes and components. Why would I want to introduce chaos into this neat world?

Of course, we all know the world is not neat. That's where chaos engineering comes in. Chaos engineering involves intentionally introducing failures or disturbances into a system to see how it responds. With any application, it's helpful to see how a system performs under trying conditions, but in the world of network programming, it can be crucial to be able to test the resilience of networked systems and applications.

Chaos engineering can be used to simulate various network conditions, like packet loss, latency, and bandwidth limitations. Injecting failures in this area can test the performance and stability of the system.

This practice can also be used to test the effectiveness of network security measures. By introducing intentional security breaches, network engineers can identify vulnerabilities in the system and test the security protocols and measures.

In your work, how can you benefit from failure? How does a little chaos improve your results?

0 Replies 0