Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoIOS Images for GNS3

Seannn1820828
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I am currently learning GNS3 and I am aware that I need to obtain the relevant images/licenses.

Is anyone aware of what I need to purchase exactly? Is it 'Cisco Modeling Labs - Personal'

Thanks in advace!

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you should contact GNS people on GNS forum.  Traditionally GNS3 supported only following routers' images (IOS):  1700, 2600s, 2690, 3600, 3745, 7200 (only one that has IOS 15). no switching images here.

however, GNS3 server edition can support more images and greater number (quantity).  I think IOL/IOU/ for switching (and routing) images can be used here if you have image and license. IOL License available to Cisco employees only!

CML IOSv-L2 and any other CML images taken from CML are illegal to be used outside of CML.  I think CML puts some sort of registration on those images.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Thanks for your reply!

I forgot to mention that I am just going to be using a VM and I'm just doing some Router configuration for a university project. So I thought GNS3 would be the best option as I am going to be writing python scripts to automate some configuration. It's proving quite the hassle.

Appreciate your help 

I would do research on Eve-ng.  I did run SD-WAN lab with Eve and my server PC (2xXeons, 64 GB RAM).  Others do use Eve for Security, SP, Voice, and DataCenter tracks.  I think Eve may be good for any labs like SD-LAN;

Best of Luck!

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

@Seannn1820828 you can use the devnet sandbox for free (yes free), https://devnetsandbox.cisco.com/RM/Topology it has CML, plus all the major platforms such as SD-WAN, NSO, DNAC etc... and routers (XE, XR).

Hope this helps.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io