cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

This Week in Tech: March 23, 2023

Alexander Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This week in tech, we’re taking a look at drones and the impact they are having in the workforce, at home, and beyond.

Ikea Places Stock in Autonomous Drone Idea

AlexStevenson_0-1679580020848.jpeg

The Swedish furniture retailer Ikea (I would say ‘manufacturer’ but for some reason they make us put our furniture together ourselves ; ) has reported this week that they have a fleet of 100 autonomous drones counting stock in warehouses during non-operational hours in around 15 locations in Europe.

The aim of these drones is to improve inventory accuracy and save the employees from counting the stock manually. The drones launch from charging stations and utilize images, videos, and 3D scans. They can also help employees locate missing or misplaced items. I’m currently looking into buying one myself to help me find my keys and rebel socks.

The consensus regarding these drones at Ikea appears to be mixed; of the two comments left on the source article, one stated “This will be super useful” while the other exclaimed “Thanks, I hate it”.

Drone Formation Makes Guinness World Record Attempt at SXSW

Last week, at the famous SXSW conference and festival in Austin, TX, over 600 drones lit up the sky for over an hour in an amazing display that may have set a world record for longest drone show. The light and technology show in the sky was capped off by a formation of a QR code, which, when scanned, gave the viewers a special surprise.

One pilot controlled all drones and the preparation required at least 50 hours of programming from their team of 3D animators as well as planning and testing with the pilot.

Some of the Other Players in the Aerial Drone Sphere

Alphabet

AlexStevenson_1-1679580020854.jpeg

Google-parent Alphabet’s Wing service, working in partnership with Walgreens and FedEx, delivers small packages (2-3 pounds) to customers’ doorsteps using all-electric drones.

Amazon

AlexStevenson_2-1679580020858.jpeg

Amazon, being the largest e-commerce company in the known universe, is in prime position to dominate the drone wars. Amazon Prime Air delivery program aims to deliver packages of under 5 pounds in under 3 minutes using GPS.

See this article for more details about Amazon’s drone progression.

Dominos

dominoes.jpg

The pizza giant delivered their first pizza-by-drone way back in 2016 (talk about cutting edge ; ) although it took a pilot, a team of drone experts and GPS to get it done. No word if customers can keep the drone if delivered in over 30 minutes. Mama mia!

UPS

UPS.jpg

Another ‘first-in-flight’ is UPS, who received Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approval in 2019 to become the first drone service to operate as a commercial airline, with autonomy over the size and scope of their operations in rural and suburban areas.

Walmart

Walmart.jpg

Walmart has maneuvered their way into a prominent position in the aerial drone delivery world. Walmart made 6,000 drone deliveries in December 2022, the first month it began offering the service. Sam Walton would be proud!

Other Businesses

Other businesses taking advantage of drones are social media influencers, who make stunning panoramic videos with them, and realtors, who utilize them to show properties to home buyers/renters in real time, including the roof and surrounding area.

Call to Action

What are some ways you see drones being used in the near and far future?

dog-n-drone.png

“Throw me a drone!”

Sources

Ikea adds stock-counting drones to more of its stores, The Verge

Amazon, UPS, Domino's & the Future of Drone Delivery Services, Insider Intelligence

600 drones light up the skies at SXSW 2023, KVUE-ABC, Austin, TX

An MP3 version of this discussion is attached.

4 Replies 4

Verlaine_Devnet
Level 1
Level 1

in Rwanda, drones are used to serve hospitals for blood transportation, in congo we have some laws and it's not easy to use all the time, insightful blog 

Network automation,Python,Linux

That's very interesting @Verlaine_Devnet. Thanks for joining the discussion and sharing. We're glad to have you and happy to learn from you!

i am here to grow with the community

Network automation,Python,Linux

Glad to have you in the Community, Verlaine! And that is one of the best things about this community. We all help each other, either by getting help or paying it back (or forward).