Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In this article, I am going to guide you through the steps I take to set up my MacBook for software development. I will discuss some of the settings I change in macOS, as well as the software development tools I install and use every day for Python and web app development.

My MacBook Pro has a 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 processor, a 4GB AMD Radeon graphics card, and 16GB of RAM. It is currently running the latest version of macOS, Ventura 13.2. Although this laptop is three years old, it still meets my daily work requirements adequately.

General setup and configuration:

1. Since Finder is probably the most used app, you may want to customize it to your liking. I turned on the "Show Status Bar" option so that I can view more information about the current folder. Right-click on the top of Finder window and select "Customize Toolbar". You can then add or delete icons that are useful to you.
2. Change the appearance theme to your liking by going to Configuration -> Appearance.
3. Adjust the keyboard mapping, mouse and trackpad settings to your preferences via Configuration -> Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

Software, tools installation:

One of the most essential software tools to install on your MacBook is a reliable package manager. This type of software aids in managing the installation, removal, and updating of software packages on your operating system. Homebrew is a well-known package manager for macOS, particularly useful for developers and system administrators who require the installation and management of various development tools and libraries. With its command-line interface and user-friendly approach, Homebrew has gained widespread popularity.
Using Homebrew, you can easily install just about anything by typing

brew install [x]

For GUI applications, the --cask option is required. You can search for GUI applications using the brew search --cask command and install them with the brew install --cask command. Some popular GUI applications include Docker, Chrome, Spotify, and Slack. Overall, Homebrew and Homebrew Cask are powerful tools that can help streamline your software installation process and effectively manage your macOS system.

Once Homebrew is installed, you can proceed with installation of these recommended applications:

1. Docker - Docker is an open-source containerization platform that allows developers to create, deploy, and run applications in a container environment. Docker has become a popular technology in software development and deployment because it simplifies the process of creating, deploying, and managing applications in a scalable and portable way. It allows developers to focus on writing code, without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure or compatibility issues.

brew install --cask docker

2. Git and Github - Git is a distributed version control system that allows developers to collaborate on software development projects. GitHub (https://github.com/) is a web-based platform that provides a range of services for software development teams to collaborate on projects using Git.

brew install git

3. Visual Studio Code and useful plugins - Visual Studio Code is a free, open-source code editor developed by Microsoft. It is a popular tool for developing software applications, especially web and cloud-based applications. Visual Studio Code has a wide range of features and extensions that make it a versatile tool for developers, including:
     a. Code highlighting and formatting: Visual Studio Code has built-in support for syntax highlighting and code formatting for many programming languages.
     b. Debugging: Visual Studio Code provides a powerful debugging experience, allowing developers to step through their code and diagnose issues.
     c. Git integration: Visual Studio Code has built-in Git support, enabling developers to manage source control directly within the editor.
     d. Extension marketplace: Visual Studio Code has a large marketplace of extensions that can be installed to enhance its functionality.
     e. Integrated terminal: Visual Studio Code has an integrated terminal that allows developers to execute commands within the editor.
     f. IntelliSense: Visual Studio Code provides intelligent code completion and suggestions based on the code being written.

I recommend installing the following extensions if you’re a Python developer like me: Python, Prettier, Docker, Git, AREPL, Code Spell Checker, Kite

4. NodeJS and NPM - Node.js is an open-source, cross-platform, server-side JavaScript runtime environment built on Chrome's V8 JavaScript engine. It allows developers to use JavaScript to build scalable and high-performance network applications. NPM is a package manager for JavaScript and the default package manager for Node.js. As such, NPM is installed alongside Node.js as a recommended feature.

brew install node

5. Warp terminal  - Warp is a blazingly fast, Rust-based terminal reimagined from the ground up to work like a modern app. Warp Terminal only available on macOS and allows you to quickly open new terminal windows or tabs, preconfigured to specific directories or SSH connections. It's designed to help you navigate between different projects or servers more efficiently.

brew install --cask warp

6. Flycut - a clipboard manager is a freeware that help you with copy and pasting multiple items.

brew install --cask flycut

7. Bitwarden - for password management and it sync across devices (iPhone, iPad, etc..)

brew install --cask bitwarden

8. Pyenv - If you’re a Python developer you will need Pyenv. Pyenv is a tool that allows you to easily install and manage multiple versions of the Python programming language on a single system
      brew install pyenv 

The following are optional but also very useful applications:

1. Postman - Postman is a popular collaboration platform for API development that allows developers to test, create, and share APIs. It is a software tool that simplifies the process of working with APIs by providing a user-friendly interface for sending HTTP requests and analyzing their responses.

2. SoapUI - SoapUI is an open-source testing tool used to test web services, APIs, and other types of web-based applications. It provides an intuitive and user-friendly interface for testing SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) and REST (Representational State Transfer) web services.

3. Wireshark - Wireshark is a free and open-source network protocol analyzer that allows users to capture and analyze network traffic in real-time.

4. Obsidian - Obsidian is a note-taking using Markdown syntax and knowledge management application that enables users to create and organize notes in a hierarchical structure. It is a powerful tool that allows users to connect ideas, visualize their thinking, and build a personal knowledge base.

5. GIMP - GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source image editing software that is widely used for graphic design, digital art, and photo editing. It is a powerful tool that provides a range of features and tools for manipulating images and creating digital artwork.

6. Draw.io - Draw.io is a free and open-source diagramming application that allows users to create a wide range of diagrams, including flowcharts, network diagrams, process diagrams, and more. It is a powerful tool that provides a user-friendly interface for creating and editing diagrams.

That's it. I hope these tips help you with installing software on your MacBook for software development! What are your favorite software development or productivity tools? Please share.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links