Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS XR connectivity

mulhollandm
Level 1
Level 1

folks

i've setup my own topology with three ios xr routers in a standard topology with all three connected in a full mesh 

i have configured a lan on each routers gi0/0/0/30 interface with the router as .1 and an alpine host as .254

my issue is

the alpine host can't get a ping reply from its gateway and the routers can't ping each other over their directly connected links

i can see arp requests but no replies

i have a l2 switch between the router and alpine and if i put avlan ip on it, the host can ping the switch but the switch gets no response from the router 

anyone see this before, ios xr is new to me so maybe i'm missing something?

i've attached the yml file but had to save it as txt so i can upload it

thanks to anyone taking the time to look or reply

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @mulhollandm ,

I would start by reducing the number of interfaces for each XRv router. You do not need that many interfaces for the topology you are running and having a high number of interfaces might be causing the issue you are seeing.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

harold

trying this in my own cml lab and so far it's working fine now i've reduced the no of interfaces

thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is this reasl or emulators/siumulators ?

we do not have any visibility what is configured ? is this VRF ? post topology and configuration to look :

or start with below :

https://networkgeekstuff.com/networking/cisco-ios-xr-complete-getting-started-examples-guide/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

apologies folks, i thought i had attached the lab fiile but have done now

just noticed i can't run a packet capture on the links as devnet cml says i need to start the link even though the interfaces are up but when starting the link i get the error below 

Starting link failed: The API at /api/v0/labs/dbf3fc/links/l1/state/start encountered an unexpected error. Please report this problem to support.

Hi @mulhollandm ,

I would start by reducing the number of interfaces for each XRv router. You do not need that many interfaces for the topology you are running and having a high number of interfaces might be causing the issue you are seeing.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

harold

many thanks for your reply, its greatly appreciated
do i need to build the topology from the start or can i remove the number of interfaces in an existing lab i have

i'm running this in my own cml personal plus so would like to try and re-use that if possible
thanks again

Hi @mulhollandm ,

You need to stop and wipe the router to be able to remove the extra interfaces. You do not need to build from scratch. Make sure you save your configuration (Nodes-> Extract Configs) before you stop the router. Delete the extra interfaces and then restart the router.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

harold

trying this in my own cml lab and so far it's working fine now i've reduced the no of interfaces

thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @mulhollandm ,

I do not see any IGP configured in your yaml file. You will need to configure an IGP to provide connectivity between the different LANs. Make sure you configure a default GW on the Alpine workstations as well.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México