cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring APIC via SNMP from outside

Arun Srinivasan
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a novice question. But please help me understand. I am using a Cisco ACI simulator reservation lab to understand how the ACI fabric can be managed from a NMS. I want to understand how can I access the APIC & Leaf/Spine switches' MIBs via SNMP from my laptop.

I have configured the SNMP Policy on the Fabric successfully as per the document available from Cisco. For able to access the APIC via SNMP, I understand we also need to configure In band and OOB management access. But I am just configuring OOB access. If I want to configure OOB access, what gateway and ip address should I provide to the APIC management interface to access it from my laptop.

Please help me understand this.

Thank you.

~Arun

4 Replies 4

ecorban
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hello arun

As the APIC is an simulator only of a real ACI fabric you do not have any access to the listed devices on the APIC controller. 

You have access to all the API on the APIC itself only but the fabric are virtual db embedded in the APIC controller...

IF you want to perform the type of testing in your email, i suggest using an  APIC HW lab (when its available!)

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So, you mean to say that with the ACI Simulator Lab (Reserved), I cannot monitor the APIC via SNMP from an NMS (currently my laptop)? Note that VPN is connected where the snmp client/NMS is installed...

Hi

I have got the ACI hardware lab reservation. I just need to try running the snmp walk on the APIC/Leaf/Spine switches from perhaps the Ubuntu host. In order to do that, I understand we need to configure SNMP policy and OOB/In-band management. My question is what addresses and gateway to use to access them?

HI,

Using the ACI Hardware Lab, I have configured SNMP policy on the APIC as per the instructions in Cisco guide for configuring SNMP for the ACI. I am able to SNMP to the Leaf and Spine switches successfully. But I am unable to SNMP to the APIC. I followed the Troubleshooting section for APIC and it appears its all fine.

sdnuser@postsql:~$ snmpget -v 2c -c sospublic 10.10.20.37 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 = STRING: "Leaf1-103"

sdnuser@postsql:~$ snmpget -v 2c -c sospublic 10.10.20.38 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 = STRING: "Leaf2-104"

sdnuser@postsql:~$ snmpget -v 2c -c sospublic 10.10.20.39 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 = STRING: "Leaf3-102"

sdnuser@postsql:~$ snmpget -v 2c -c sospublic 10.10.20.40 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 = STRING: "Leaf4-101"

sdnuser@postsql:~$ snmpget -v 2c -c sospublic 10.10.20.41 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 = STRING: "Spine1-201"

sdnuser@postsql:~$ snmpget -v 2c -c sospublic 10.10.20.42 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0

Timeout: No Response from 10.10.20.42.

apic1# sh snmp summary

Active Policy: default, Admin State: enabled

Local SNMP engineID: [Hex] 0x80000009800072c071abc0bf5900000000

----------------------------------------

Community            Description

----------------------------------------

sospublic

------------------------------------------------------------

User                 Authentication       Privacy

Client-Group         Mgmt-Epg                  Clients

Host                 Port  Version  Level      SecName

10.10.20.98          162   v2c      noauth     sospublic

I think I am missing something in configuring the OOB management. Anybody any pointers, please? I can provide further details needed.

Best Regards

Arun