Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with Multi-IOS Cisco Test Network

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I have some licensing problems on the Multi-IOS lab in virl.

I am pretty sure I got this working before, but now I wanted to try it again, and I get an licensing error.

Somthing about it cannot connect to the internet. Is this a known problem?

[admin@localhost ~]$ virl ls
Running Simulations
╒══════════════╤══════════╤════════════╤═══════════╕
│ Simulation   │ Status   │ Launched   │ Expires   │
╞══════════════╪══════════╪════════════╪═══════════╡
╘══════════════╧══════════╧════════════╧═══════════╛
[admin@localhost ~]$ virl serach ios
Usage: virl [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...

Error: No such command "serach".
[admin@localhost ~]$ virl search ios
Displaying 1 Results For ios
╒════════════════════════╤═════════╤══════════════════════╕
│ Name                   │   Stars │ Description          │
╞════════════════════════╪═════════╪══════════════════════╡
│ virlfiles/2-ios-router │       0 │ hello world virlfile │
╘════════════════════════╧═════════╧══════════════════════╛
[admin@localhost ~]$ virl up  virlfiles/2-ios-router
Pulling from virlfiles/2-ios-router
Saved topology as topology.virl
Creating default environment from topology.virl
Localizing {{ dns_server }} with: 4.2.2.3
Localizing {{ gateway }} with: 172.16.30.254
Localizing rsa modulus 768 with: rsa modulus 1024
[admin@localhost ~]$ virl ls
Running Simulations
╒══════════════╤══════════╤════════════╤═══════════╕
│ Simulation   │ Status   │ Launched   │ Expires   │
╞══════════════╪══════════╪════════════╪═══════════╡
╘══════════════╧══════════╧════════════╧═══════════╛
[admin@localhost ~]$ virl up
Sim {
  "cause": "Failed to license simulation.\n\nFor reference, already launched simulations across all users require 0 Cisco VM node licenses.\n\nThe licensing error message is:\n\nCisco contact was not established. This may be temporary.\nPlease make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master.\nAlso make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and remains valid.\nCurrent status is: Last successful license renewal was more than 7 days ago.\nLast license renewal final result was (2018-05-11 12:53:43): Call was successful.",
  "details": "Cisco contact was not established. This may be temporary.\nPlease make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master.\nAlso make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and remains valid.\nCurrent status is: Last successful license renewal was more than 7 days ago.\nLast license renewal final result was (2018-05-11 12:53:43): Call was successful.",
  "http": {
    "status": 403
  },
  "traceback": "Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File \"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py\", line 1612, in full_dispatch_request\n    rv = self.dispatch_request()\n  File \"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py\", line 1598, in dispatch_request\n    return self.view_functions[rule.endpoint](**req.view_args)\n  File \"<decorator-gen-611>\", line 2, in simengine_launch\n  File \"/var/jenkins/workspace/VIRL_CORE_build/test-virl-repo/virl/std/implementation.py\", line 293, in middleware\n  File \"<decorator-gen-610>\", line 2, in simengine_launch\n  File \"/var/jenkins/workspace/VIRL_CORE_build/test-virl-repo/virl/common/time_measure.py\", line 96, in measurer\n  File \"/var/jenkins/workspace/VIRL_CORE_build/test-virl-repo/virl/std/implementation.py\", line 1395, in simengine_launch\nHttpException: Failed to license simulation.\n\nFor reference, already launched simulations across all users require 0 Cisco VM node licenses.\n\nThe licensing error message is:\n\nCisco contact was not established. This may be temporary.\nPlease make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master.\nAlso make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and remains valid.\nCurrent status is: Last successful license renewal was more than 7 days ago.\nLast license renewal final result was (2018-05-11 12:53:43): Call was successful.\n"
}
 already running
9 Replies 9

zowu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rasmus,

We are sorry for your inconvenience. As you know, we are now upgrading this sandbox and maybe a license outage occurring. 

Here is steps to retrieve license manually:

- Login into http://10.10.20.160 w/ cred uwmadmin/password

- Visit http://10.10.20.160/admin/salt/ and click button "Check Status now"

- VIRL server will contact license server and obtain license by few minutes

license renewlicense renew

Hi Zowu

I didn't know you were in the process of upgrading. I will try the solution later.
Thanks for the reply.

Hi Zowu

The manual check solved the license issue.
But now I get another problem where I am not able to start up the routers within the simulation.
When I try to start the simulation is seems to be running but it stils says: "Node "router1" state changed from ABSENT to ERROR with message: Unexpected vif_type=binding_failed: File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/compute/manager.py", line 1926, in _do_build_and_run_instance"

Hi Rasmus,

That's the reason we are upgrading this sandbox. The future sandbox will use VIRL 1.6 other than existing 1.5.

For a temporary workaround, you need to restart few services in VIRL host:

- SSH into 10.10.20.160 w/ credential virl/VIRL

- reload services below:

sudo systemctl restart neutron-dhcp-agent

sudo systemctl restart neutron-l3-agent

sudo systemctl restart neutron-linuxbridge-agent

sudo systemctl restart neutron-linuxbridge-cleanup

sudo systemctl restart neutron-metadata-agent

sudo systemctl restart neutron-server

Then you leverage "virlutils" command to create your simulation topology.

Regards,

Bob

Hi,

By the way, how do I SSH to the router inside the VIRL directly from my laptop after VPN connection? I mean what should be the configuration like on the router? Should I use the mangement interface?

You can use the admin address listed in the "virl nodes" command:

[developer@devbox datacenter]$ virl nodes

Here is a list of all the running nodes

╒═══════════════════╤══════════════╤═════════╤═════════════╤════════════╤══════════════════════╤════════════════════╕

│ Node              │ Type         │ State   │ Reachable   │ Protocol   │ Management Address   │ External Address  

╞═══════════════════╪══════════════╪═════════╪═════════════╪════════════╪══════════════════════╪════════════════════╡

│ core1             │ IOS XRv 9000 │ ACTIVE  │ REACHABLE   │ telnet     │ 172.16.30.52        │ N/A               

├───────────────────┼──────────────┼─────────┼─────────────┼────────────┼──────────────────────┼────────────────────┤

In our own laptop:

ssh -l cisco 172.16.30.52

User Access Verification

Password:

Cisco NX-OS Software

Copyright (c) 2002-2018, Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

Thanks Zowu. That's a really helpful answer.

Just to be sure, [developer@devbox datacenter]$ is the CentOS devbox right included in the lab?

Correct. You find devbox details in the "Instruction" page:
devbox - a CentOS VM which contains a standardized environment ready for common environments, including python, docker, etc. For complete specs on the tools server, see, or suggestions on how to improve it go here
Default Credentials – developer/C1sco12345

hapresto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just a couple additional points.  

1. You don't need to SSH from the DevBox.  As long as you've connected to the VPN, you can ssh directly to the 172.16.30.x addresses for any node in the VIRL simulation.  

2. In addition to using the virlutils Python CLI tool to manage your simulations and find the MGMT IPs, you can also view the Web GUI (UWM) for VIRL.  It's available at http://10.10.20.160, Creds are guest/guest.  

Hank