Visitas
ÚTIL
Respuestas

Route Reflector election

gabelz
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

i'm curios to know if there are some best practices in order to elect an equipment as my Route-reflector equipment.

I know it depends on topolgy and as well on equipment caracteristic(CPU,RAM,and so on),but just to know if there are some general clues about how to elect it.

Thanks in advance,

MG

2 SOLUCIONES ACEPTADAS

Soluciones aceptadas

I will inform you what I know 

1- the Route reflector have many prefix add to this if these prefix have many attribute 
so the memory is keypoint here to select RR
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/12512-41.html

2- router reflector mean job is reflect prefix but it not need to be in path of packet 
so we exclude the RR from path between other router 
if you use OSPF we use max-metrix router-lsa as show below

router ospf 999

max-metric router-lsa

MHM

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @gabelz,

The selection of a router as a route reflector in a BGP network is a critical decision that depends on various factors. While the choice can be influenced by specific network characteristics, there are some general best practices.

Choose a router with sufficient scalability to handle the expected number of BGP peers and routes. Consider factors such as CPU processing power, RAM, and forwarding capacity.

Deploy multiple route reflectors for high availability and redundancy. This helps distribute the load and ensures continued operation if one route reflector fails. If possible, deploy route reflectors in different physical locations to enhance fault tolerance and ensure network resilience.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Ver la solución en mensaje original publicado

2 RESPUESTAS 2

I will inform you what I know 

1- the Route reflector have many prefix add to this if these prefix have many attribute 
so the memory is keypoint here to select RR
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/12512-41.html

2- router reflector mean job is reflect prefix but it not need to be in path of packet 
so we exclude the RR from path between other router 
if you use OSPF we use max-metrix router-lsa as show below

router ospf 999

max-metric router-lsa

MHM

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @gabelz,

The selection of a router as a route reflector in a BGP network is a critical decision that depends on various factors. While the choice can be influenced by specific network characteristics, there are some general best practices.

Choose a router with sufficient scalability to handle the expected number of BGP peers and routes. Consider factors such as CPU processing power, RAM, and forwarding capacity.

Deploy multiple route reflectors for high availability and redundancy. This helps distribute the load and ensures continued operation if one route reflector fails. If possible, deploy route reflectors in different physical locations to enhance fault tolerance and ensure network resilience.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.