Views
Helpful
Replies

AsyncOS 15 RAM requirements

REJR77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the VM install guide of AsyncOS VM https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/content_security/virtual_appliances/Cisco_Content_Security_Virtual_Appliance_Install_Guide.pdf

In Virtual Appliance Models for VMWare ESXi Deployments, it is mentionned that AsyncOS 15 version can now use 16G RAM for C300v. With previous release the RAM was set to 8G.

[AsyncOS 15.0 and later]
[Upgrade Scenario]: Cisco Content Security virtual appliance OVF images allow you to switch from the pre-configured memory values of a previous AsyncOS version to the new values on the upgrade as follows:
• C100v model: 8 GB
• C300v and C600v model: 16 GB
• M600v model: 16 GB

Does it mean, we just have to stop the VM, update RAM to 16G, reboot and upgrade to v15?

Thank you

6 Replies 6

SriramV
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steps to increase memory. 

Before upgrading RAM in ESA / SMA 15.x version or above version, Need to upgrade the RAM as recommended in VA guide.

1. Shut down the ESA / SMA  using steps mentioned in user guide.
  2. Increase the memory of VM: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-81E25CBB-16D9-416B-AD6F-5A96D7CD0A2D.html
  3. Turn on the VM and check ESA / SMA is accessible.
  4. Now upgrade to 15.x or above version. 

adambaack
Level 1
Level 1

SriramV,

Sorry for pulling up an old post but what if we've already upgraded to version 15.x and THEN increased the memory?  Our C300V appliances took the change but we upgraded our M300V to 16GB after the upgrade and it's alerting that there is a misconfiguration and it's expecting the appliance to be 8GB.

Double check the release notes, I think the ESAs were the only thing that needed the extra ram.

adambaack
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ken,

Docs aren't super clear in that regard and that's where my confusion is... if you read the release notes it only discusses the M600V: "From AsyncOS 15.0 release onwards, there is a new RAM value for the M600V Secure Email and Web Manager virtual appliance model deployed through KVM or VMWare ESXi."

And in the install guide is where it gets confusing to me (https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/content_security/virtual_appliances/Cisco_Content_Security_Virtual_Appliance_Install_Guide.pdf)

On page 3 of "Virtual Appliance Models for VMWare ESXi Deployments" under the upgrade scenario it only mentions the C300V/C600V and M600V to a new value of 16GB.

But further down for 'before asyncos 15) it lists a max memory for a M300V is 16GB.  Which is what I want to use but if I set the appliance to 16GB, I get the email saying unsupported.  Did I miss my window of opportunity and needed to bump the memory prior to the upgrade?  Doesn't make a lot of sense but all I can think of.  So I'm stuck with 8GB unless I want to ignore the warnings?

Just emailed the 15.0 Beta TAC resource, and he said
"During beta and internal testing, it was determined the 2 smaller SMA did not benefit from the increased memory."

He did say this came up last night from someone else... they're fixing the docs... looks like the docs didn't keep up with changes as they released.

Ken

Understood.  The max allowed being 16GB threw me off and I did want to try using 16GB as our SMA seems a little sluggish running certain queries/reports but I didn't want to run an unsupported config.  If I can change to 16GB and safely ignore the alert then I'll go that route.  Appreciate the help... I'll keep an eye out also for updated docs.