cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I create a mailing group in a Cisco ESA?

CP2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I had a request from another admin about a mailing group. It seems that they are not able to get mail through our Cisco Ironport C170 because the DNS apparently doesn't recognize a mailing group. Is there a way for us to create a mailing group in the Ironport? Can I duplicate the mailing group that is in the exchange server and put it on the C170 so that the messages can get through to everyone on the mailing group list?

3 Replies 3

Let's clarify the real issue...

Distribution group on exchange isn't gething mail from outside? Because as far as the esa is concerned, that's just another email address....

Make sure the group is configured to allow outside mail to hit it. And that unauthenticated senders can send to it..

Fix the Exchange issue because maintaining it in 2 places is asking for it to get out of sync.

Thanks for the quick response. So the email isn't coming from the outside. It is actually internal, but when the ironport is looking up the address in the DNS table then it isn't getting a positive response back. I may have solved the issue by creating a sender verification exception with seems to bypass DNS verification. I got a success message back when using the SMTPPING function.

EDIT: SO this was not the solution I got errors back and it seems that the message was bouncing between the actual mail server and the ironport. The address I sent it to isn't actually a mailbox for a group. It was a name for a distro list. Is there a way in Ironport to create a distro list if someone wants to send a message to a particular group of recipients?

As Ken mentioned distros or DLs are local to an exchange server, the ESA would process it as any other email address. 

Based on the domain part of the distro the ESA would deliver it using SMTP routes or DNS to an exchange server who would then need to expand it into different email addresses.

Regards 

Libin Varghese 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: