Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the hostname inside the received header

Knuto0815
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody.

I would like to know how I can change the hostname that appears in the received header to the ip address. So that it does not look anymore like this:

from mail1.mydomain.com (mail1.mydomain.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]) by mail4.destinationserver.de (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5482710F6B98 for <me>; Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:40:26 +0100 (CET)

It should finally look like this:

from xx.xx.xx.xx (xx.xx.xx.xx [xx.xx.xx.xx]) by mail4.destinationserver.de (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5482710F6B98 for <mirko>; Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:40:26 +0100 (CET)

Doing this with Exchange is no problem. But who wants to send his mail directly with Exchange. ;)

Cutting off the received header of the internal listener is not the concern here.

Cheers

Mirko

2 Replies 2

jaigill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you want the Ironport to not stamp a received header for messages that it received from the exchange server? This can be accomplished by un-checking the "Network -> Listener -> Advanced -> Add Received Header" text box in GUI.

Knuto0815
Level 1
Level 1

But this will just cut off the received headers of the communication between the client to our Exchange server and our Exchange server to our Ironports. But the received header that is attached by the next smtp server our ironport is delivering the mail to is where I would like to see rather the ip address than the hostname. But this should be done for only two addresses.

Even though reading RFC 2822 and some testing solved this for me because the receiving smtp server normally adds the ptr record of the sending server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: