Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ESA - Cluster configuration

Julien LONGHI
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to configure a cluster with 2 ESA C370 appliances that are running the 7.5 software version.

Data1 interfaces are connected to the DMZ (192.168.28.x/24) and the management interfaces are connected to a dedicated management network (172.16.0.x/24) that is standalone.

In this management network, I have no DNS server. The DNS server is present in the DMZ and is a public DNS. The private DNS is on the internal LAN.

To configure a cluster, both appliances and IP addresses in use must have an A and PTR record set up in the DNS.

Is it possible with my configuration to configure the cluster with the IP address of the management interface of each appliances or do I need to use the data1 interfaces to do this ?

For the moment, the A record of each esa in the DNS are configured with the public address and not the private DMZ address.

Both ESA are configured with external DNS (the DNS of my ISP).

I thonk to do a cluster I will have to modify the DNS configuration.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Julien.

6 Replies 6

Stephan Bayer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Julien,

Please review the following post on Centralized Management and clustering.

I hope you find the material helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/security/email/blog/2011/02/17/the-mystery-of-centralized-management-aka-clustering#comment-6736

Regards,

Stephan

Getting below message

Page No Found

The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.

Hello,

This is because we just recently moved to a new system for our forums, and it appears the links do not auto-forward.

Here's the new link : https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-blogs/the-mystery-of-centralized-management-a-k-a-clustering/ba-p/3101300

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Stephan Bayer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Julien,

Did that help? if so, would you mark the question answered?

Thanks.

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I modified the configuration of the DNS in the DMZ.

In this DNS, I configured a new zone with PTR records of the management IP adresses.

I modified the DNS config of the ESA appliances. The DNS in DMZ is now with a priority 0 and the external DNS with a priority 1.

With this new config, I did the clusterconfig and all was fine.

Thanks for your help.

Julien.

Thanks for the update! It was my pleasure.

Stephan