cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CRES Outlook Plugin - BCE_Config.xml - Increasing the size of an allowed email

Duane Gullett
Level 1
Level 1

I have two tickets opened with CISCO and so far no answer has been provided.

The CISCO CRES Encrypt Email Plugin for Outlook is defaulting to a maximum message size around 10MB with mime conversion bloat of 1/3rd. The maximum attachment size the plugin allows to be sent is in the area of less than 7mb.

I know the maximum message size limit allowed to be encrypted on the ESA servers can be increased but how to I override the default size in the plugin?

I am using subject line tagging as the trigger mechanism in the bce_config.xml configuration file. I cannot find anything in the xml file that controls the size. There are two settings concerning size, one for reporting spam messages and one for envelope cache size. Neither of these impact the attachment size that the plugin allows, I have changed both just in case the labels were misleading.

Has anyone changed the config file to increase the max message size and know what setting is it?

Thank You.

6 Replies 6

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Duane,

May i ask if you could attempt to locate and change within your BCE_config.

<envelope>
<!-- Cache size of PXE envelope storage (an integer, in MB) -->
<storage display="editable">6</storage>

<!-- Maximum duration to retain envelopes files (an integer, in minutes). -->
<duration display="editable">43200</duration>
</envelope>

In this example it is set to 6MB.

Regards,

Matthew

Matthew,

Thank you for your response. The "editable">6</storage> is the same response I received when I opened the ticket with Ironport, but it did not work, I should have included that detail in my original post.

By dissecting the plugin installation further I see that the config_1.xml file contains a maximumEncryptSize parameter which is not included in the BCE_config.xml file;

<outlook>
      <showEncryptDialog display="editable">true</showEncryptDialog>
      <showPluginOptions>true</showPluginOptions>
      <showManageMessageButton>true</showManageMessageButton>
      <maximumEncryptSize>10</maximumEncryptSize>
    </outlook>

The BCE_config.xml file contains three of those settings but not the maximumEncryptSize.
I added that parameter to my bce_config.xml, uploaded, signed and distributed the config, it worked. Further testing is required but progress looks better than it did.

Further testing, multiple machines has confirmed, <maximumEncryptSize>10</maximumEncryptSize> is the correct setting.

Hey Duane,

Thanks for the information.

I hope that your solution here will also help other admins who are deploying the CRES plugin and having these issues.

Regards,

Matthew

Helped me. Thanks. I ended up doubling on the ESA from 10 to 20M and in the config_1.xml file from 7 to 14M. 20M isn't much these days when sending e-mail.

I downloaded the BCE config from our distribution site. I understood the process to say it would import into the plug-in automatically. That did not happen in my case. Any ideas what i missed?  Send response to ken.mabus@communitybank.net if you do not mind.