cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Destination Control Domain is MX record match, correct?

macklinmc
Level 1
Level 1

The documentation around destination control talks about "domain" and there is no field specific pop-up help for the destination. The online help does say "for each MX record of the specified domain or for the entire domain". Which is confusing as there is only 1 setting, ie. Destination

I want to be 100% clear as I tell the people who are being trained to configure destination controls who are getting confused about email domains and MX records, that the Destination setting matches MX records, period. MX record domain names to email domains are often a 1 (or few) to many relationship as in our company and hosting companies that serve many clients with subdomains of a single root.

My experience tells me this is correct and I guess I'm just looking for the consensus that this is correct.

1 Reply 1

Martin Eppler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Macklin,

the 'domain' column in the Destination Control Table refers to the domain part of the envelope recipient address. So when sending a mail to user@example.com, the Destination Control Table entry should be 'example.com'  when you need to apply a given limit for the destination.

The 'for each MX record of the specified domain or for the entire domain' needs to be seen in conjunction with the set limits. When assuming that the destination has two MX records, then a configured limit of 100 connections will result in the following behavior:

Hope this explanation helps. If it was in the wrong direction, then please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: