cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Detect executable file attachment in container files (OLE, PDF Attachment etc.)

Situation: we face some attacks with executables embedded in Office documents (OLE) where user then click and execute files like exe, bat etc.

we use filetype filters to block exe, bat etc. but they do not match with embedded file types! also a problem are attachment in pdf documents.

is there any way to configure a filter blocking executables in container files? any idea?

similar topic but different: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12925121/block-office-documents-containing-macros

Ironport ESA: AsyncOS 9.7.2

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

Ideally the anti-virus and AMP scanners should be used to detect malicious content in attachments.

Microsoft's Office 2007 document formats are XML contained within a zip. Files with filename ".docx" are actually ZIP files. You can see this by renaming the file with a .zip extension.  Any type of file that is embedded within a Office 2007 document, is being stored as a .bin file.  This means we can't currently do a search for a particular file type fingerprint.

One possible solution is to change the condition to 'attachment-filename == (?i).bin'.  This will catch any Office 2007 document with a file embedded in it.

Regards

Libin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

Ideally the anti-virus and AMP scanners should be used to detect malicious content in attachments.

Microsoft's Office 2007 document formats are XML contained within a zip. Files with filename ".docx" are actually ZIP files. You can see this by renaming the file with a .zip extension.  Any type of file that is embedded within a Office 2007 document, is being stored as a .bin file.  This means we can't currently do a search for a particular file type fingerprint.

One possible solution is to change the condition to 'attachment-filename == (?i).bin'.  This will catch any Office 2007 document with a file embedded in it.

Regards

Libin

Hi Libin

thanks

"Ideally the anti-virus and AMP scanners should be used to detect malicious content in attachments." But there is no possibility to use the sophos antivirus in ESA to define actions on specific findings if it is not recognised as a virus - right? and if we can't use the AMP Cloud (due to regulation and policies), it is also not possible to detect these kind of files in AMP (on premise) ?

I will check the Binary Attachment part.

regards

michael

Michael,

That is correct. Sophos would be able to take action only based on the attachment scanning verdict of encrypted, unscannable or virus positive and cannot take action based on specific content.

AMP does offer an option for on-premise Threatgrid servers which does not require cloud analysis, this feature would need to be purchased separately.

Page 17-5 of the Async OS 9.7 User guide at the below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/security/esa/esa9-7/ESA_9-7_User_Guide.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/amp-threat-grid-appliances/tsd-products-support-series-home.html

Regards

Libin

Hi Libin

I've tried the solution with attachment-filename (?i).bin and I was not successfull but then i tried it with "attachment-binary-contains("(?i)bin")" and it matched with my test file.

When I attach an exe-File to a docx-Officefile, this embedded file is also stored as oleObject1.bin File (in ZIP viewer). does ironport detect that exe-file with a filename filter or do I have to use the same BIN-Filter?

Regards
Michael

AttachmentFilter: if attachment-binary-contains("(?i)bin") {
                      log-entry("MATCHED FILTER ATTACHMENT $MatchedContent");
                  }

I would suspect all embedded files would be detected using the bin-condition, subject to testing.

The filename condition would not be able to determine the embedded filetypes.

-- Libin

yes it works for my case! thank you