cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMARC-DKIM alignment not correct

Steflstefan
Level 1
Level 1

Why is the DKIM alignment "false" in the DMARC check although the DKIM check itself results in a pass?

Here is an example:
From header: Microsoft Azure <azure-noreply@microsoft.com>
Mon Sep 19 15:59:36 2022 Info: MID 93466907 SPF: mailfrom identity azure-noreply@microsoft.com Pass (v=spf1)
Mon Sep 19 15:59:36 2022 Info: MID 93466907 DKIM: pass signature verified (d=microsoft.com s=s1024-meo i=azure-noreply@microsoft.com)
Mon Sep 19 15:59:36 2022 Info: MID 93466907 DMARC: Message from domain microsoft.com, DMARC pass (SPF aligned True, DKIM aligned False)

Another example where the DKIM result and the DMARC-DKIM alignment are congruent:
From header: MxToolBox <noreply@mxtoolbox.com>
Mon Sep 19 09:12:44 2022 Info: MID 93428189 SPF: mailfrom identity bounce+19864e.9c403-sven=endoo.ch@mxtoolbox.com Pass (v=spf1)
Mon Sep 19 09:12:44 2022 Info: MID 93428189 DKIM: pass signature verified (d=mxtoolbox.com s=mailo i=@mxtoolbox.com)
Mon Sep 19 09:12:44 2022 Info: MID 93428189 DMARC: Message from domain mxtoolbox.com, DMARC pass (SPF aligned True, DKIM aligned True)

Looks like a bug to me.

Best regards
Stefan

3 Replies 3

Hello Stefan,

As far as I know, DMARC will pass when SPF or DKIM is passed. In your example of Microsoft.com, the SPF is passed, so DMARC will also pass.

Read https://www.sparkpost.com/blog/dmarc-howto/ about this. There is written:

In order for a message to pass DMARC validation, the message must pass only one of the two authentication and alignment checks. So, a message will pass DMARC validation if any of the following are true:
- The message passes SPF checks and the RFC5322.From domain and Return-Path domain are in alignment, or
- The message passes DKIM validation and the RFC5322.From domain and DKIM d= domain are in alignment, or
- Both of the above are true

Kind regards,
Arjan

Sorry Arjan,

you're right but this is not the point.
Both checks (SPF + DKIM) are passed.
But at the 1st example the DMARC shows the SPF as True and the DKIM as False.
Same check results at 2nd example, SPF + DKIM passed.
DMARC shows SPF and DKIM as True.

Same check results before but different output in DMARC? I think that's not ok what is shown at DMARC.
We planned to use the authentication header for further rules, but if the results in this header are incorrect so we can't use them.

Regards
Stefan

Hello Stefan,

I see, I thought that that DKIM was not aligned in both cases. I read the post to quickly...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: